• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dumb Newbie Question

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I finally got her today but for the life of me can't find the bonnet release! I've looked under the dash thoroughly and simply see nothing. She's a '63 BJ7 so any help will be greatly appreciated. I guess I should try to find and buy an owner's manual but until then, all help is welcome.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It's under the dash on the passenger side about 8 inches to the left of the door. Look for a long straight rod the ends in a circle and pull it out. This will release the bonnett. When you lift the front of the bonnet two catches on the side of the bonnet will prevent it from raising all the way. Push those in towards the center.

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thank you sooo much, Rick! I had a feeling it would be you who helped me with this and as always, you don't disappoint!

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Since I've got your attention, can you tell me if my car has synchro in first? I'd hate to try and find out the hard way.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
No, there is no synchro in first. The best technique for moving away from a stop is to shift into second briefly and then go directly to first. I'm so used to doing this in my BJ8 that I automatically do it also in my Miata which is all-synchro.

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
BJ8Healeys said:
No, there is no synchro in first. The best technique for moving away from a stop is to shift first into second and then go directly to first.

I learned that trick on my first car, a '60 TR3A and use it now on my '61 TR3A. Figured I'd ask before trying to engage first at a crawl.

My first impressions of this car is that it starts right up, purrs, the gearbox is way smoother than my TR3, the engine revs freely, and the exhaust note is absolutely intoxicating, just the way I remembered them to sound from way back in the day - only better. Also, the steering is so easy compared to the TR. I'm smitten!

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Is there supposed to be a rubber gasket glued to the top frame of the windshield? My car is nearly flawless except that the chrome top frame has a bunch of old adhesive which seems to indicate that there was once a piece of black rubber there that isn't there any more. I couldn't find anything offered at Moss Motors' website but might have missed it. If there is such a piece of rubber, can someone tell me where I can source it? If there isn't supposed to be anything there, then maybe a former owner had tried to make a tighter fit and the restorer overlooked removing the gunk (or did the best he could) and now the job falls on me to clean it up.

Sorry for all the newbie questions and thanks for your continued patience and help!

Jeff

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
61TR3A said:
Is there supposed to be a rubber gasket glued to the top frame of the windshield? My car is nearly flawless except that the chrome top frame has a bunch of old adhesive which seems to indicate that there was once a piece of black rubber there that isn't there any more. I couldn't find anything offered at Moss Motors' website but might have missed it. If there is such a piece of rubber, can someone tell me where I can source it? If there isn't supposed to be anything there, then maybe a former owner had tried to make a tighter fit and the restorer overlooked removing the gunk (or did the best he could) and now the job falls on me to clean it up.

Sorry for all the newbie questions and thanks for your continued patience and help!

Jeff

Jeff,

There is not a rubber gasket attached to the top of the windshield frame. Sealing is accomplished by means of a gasket on the top itself. Here's a picture of the gasket on my BJ7:

2iglzxw.jpg

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I figured as much. I've since learned that cleaning off the old adhesive was the last item on the restorer's list of things to do but the owner decided to put the car up for sale before this final touch could be attended to so now it's up to me to remove the old gunk. I guess I'll try Goo Gone initially and see if it softens the old adhesives.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
"I learned that trick on my first car, a '60 TR3A and use it now on my '61 TR3A. Figured I'd ask before trying to engage first at a crawl. "

The Healey can easily be started in 2nd gear and 1st should not be needed or engaged while the car is moving.

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Took these with my iPhone so can't vouch for their quality. Better pics will be taken eventually but these show you the basics. The engine and chassis are detailed to the nines so will have to take some shots of them and post them soon. PS: The wet spot under the engine is from an overfilled radiator. Car was right at 190 on a hot day when I shut her off and she burped up some antifreeze.
IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

Dougal

Country flag
Very nice car, love that colour.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Nice car. I'm assuming that colour is Pacific Green, an authentic colour although not sure if it was carried through to the BJ7s, but so what.

It has the correct 'grey' interior with green piping that a Pacific Green car should have, and the correct green carpets.

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It is indeed Pacific Green which is a misnomer because it's very turquoise and not very green. And yes, they stopped offering this color after 1960 0r '61, I believe. The interior is supposed to be oyster which isn't even close to a gray, and according to Heritage Trim who made the interior kit it is actually 'parchment', a color much closer to the warmth of tan or beige than it is to gray. Austin-Healey sure used strange names to describe their colors. But whatever you call the color scheme, you either hate it or love it and I'm of the latter group, needless to say!

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The 'Grey' wasn't really grey at all which is why I used the inverted commas. I've no idea why they called it grey as it was very much like the colour in your car and Oyster would be a mutch better way to describe it.

You can never be sure of the colour in photos but I would say that the colour on your car is slightly more turquoise than the original Pacific Green.

I personally like the colour combo and it is much rarer.