• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

DrEntropy or anybody in Florida - help

jngeorge

Freshman Member
We are looking at a 1974 MGB-GT in Florida, (Rockledge, FL). The gentleman says he belongs to the MG Car Club-Florida. I talked with Tony Barnhill, we both live in AL, and he suggested I ask for some help. It is suppose to be all original and in exceptional condition, with 25,000 miles. The gentleman who owns it has had it for 17 years and taken exceptional care with it being garaged and covered. Anyone familiar with the car? He is asking 7995. I can email pic..I can't get them to load.

Thank you
George

Attachments

• 12302.jpg
    12302.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 312

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
George - First, welcome....

To post photos: Click on "Reply" at the bottom of my post, you'll be able to make an answer where photos can be added...make your post then at the bottom of your answer, you'll see something marked "File Manager".....click on it & you'll see "Browse"...that's where you browse your computer to find the photos you want to post....when you find the photo on your computer (probably in "My Photos") & open it, you then click "Add File"...you can do it several times...when you're finished adding files, click on "Done Adding Files" & then click "Submit" down at the bottom.

Hope somebody in Florida either knows the car or can run over to see it. From the way you guys described it over the phone it seems real nice.

Did I hear that the owner is 82 & has had the car since 1991?

OP
jngeorge

jngeorge

Freshman Member
Hi Tony,
Had real problems getting the pics small but will try again. Thanks for your help.

Jeanneane (George's better half)

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I size my photos to 400x300 pixels...somebody else might be able to tell you more technically what size.

OP
jngeorge

jngeorge

Freshman Member
Got it to work...the pics in the original post. Yes, the guy is 82. Hope my daughter still is letting me drive at 82. She wants my license now. Thanks, Jeanneane

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's a beautifu car!

OP
jngeorge

jngeorge

Freshman Member
It sure looks like a beautiful car. I know he has had it for sale since March '08, listing in several different venues. Not sure why someone has not bought it. He is not neg on price.

RickB

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]He is not neg on price[/QUOTE]

Two ways of looking at it - either that's a good thing (for you) because most people want to feel the "win" of getting a lower price (even if it's just a couple hundred) or its a bad thing if he has over priced it and you have to meet his price to get it.

I'd make sure it's as close to perfect as can be for $8K.
You don't want to get it part way home, have it break down and get buyers remorse.

Maybe if he will guarantee that it will drive home for you (in writing - money back!) then that might make you meet his price.
If not, I would either offer a lower price based on the personal risk factor or look elsewhere.

Of course its up to you, but I consider that a top price so that car had better be very close to perfect inside & out and mechanically.

OP
jngeorge

jngeorge

Freshman Member
That's what Tony Barnhill said on the price. When we called back a 2nd time, he told us the speedometer quick working a couple of months ago. The car also won at a Florida car show and was listed as a 1974 1/2. My understanding is, with the bumper it has, it couldn't be a 1974 1/2, but a 1974, which is what the ad's list. We are going to have to "think" about this one....That's a trip for us and top end money for the car. If someone knows the car or can go take a look for us, that would help our decision. It just looks soooo pretty.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
There are a few BCF'ers on the Atlantic side. The Cape is a bit of a trot for me. If t'wer this side at that latitude I'd already be on my way.

Georege: a bit of caution... edit your phone number out of that post before it's too late. :wink:

OP
jngeorge

jngeorge

Freshman Member
Thanks for the phone # info....I was asleep at the switch when I wrote that post.

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee
VIN # will tell you which 1974 model it is. A 1974 with VIN of less than 340000 will have come from the factory with the bumper overriders like the ones in the photo. Would have been built before January 1974. After that number are the "Sabrina" overriders. The large "rubber" blocks on the same chrome bumpers. The car pictured may be a "Sabrina" car. Note the licence plate mount with the lamps built into it. A car with the VIN of less than 340000 will have the licence plate lamps mounted on the overriders. "Sabrina" cars had the licence plate lamps in the bumper itself, I think (someone will correct me if my memory is foggy).

Build month/year should be on the builder's plate in the driver's side door shut panel.

After the "Sabrina" cars were the "rubber bumper" cars. I don't have the information at hand where the VIN # or date that occurred.

Colin

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Good catch on the overriders, Colin!!

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee
I have owned an early (pre-340000) 1974 for 25 years now, so I am a little familiar with them!

Now, if it was one of the handful of rubber-bumper 1974 US-Spec GT's, THAT would be a find!

Colin

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
My '74 is a Sabrina and the plate lights are attached to the plate frame. 1973 had the Lights incorporated into the overriders which are similar to the overriders pictured.

1974 was the only year with 3 different bumper types.

Early had pictured overriders
Mid had Sabrina's ~ Fugly!
Late had Full Rubbber which is considered the '74 1/2.

I prefer the early so I got rid of the Sabrina's

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
But if it is a 'Sabrina' car, for that money it should still have its 'Sabrinas'.

OP
jngeorge

jngeorge

Freshman Member
We have run across a 1974 1/2, real good condition for about $4500. It has the rubber bumper and seems to be all original from my understanding. Is that worth a 6 hour drive?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I have a '74-1/2 GT & it handles & drives completely different than any of my other GT's...its almost a true road Gran Tourismo....except the MGC GT IS one!

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
My '74 was manufactured in December of '73 and has a vin 337xxx and has the smaller overiders. That should give you an idea of about when the change was made to Sabina's. The 74 1/2 model came out in the summer of '74 with rubber bumpers. There was only a few months of production of the Sabrina's so I guess they are rare, but there seems to be so many of them around...I guess because those hooters are so noticable. :laugh:

I don't remember how many RB GT's were made, but I'd love to have one.