• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Draggin Shoes TR4A - Stuck adjuster?

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
My LR shoes are draggin, and causing a heat problem. The adjuster won't adjust, it it completely seized. I think this could be the culprit, the car has recent shoes and wheel cylinders. However, the right side adjuster was in much further than the left. Still, it took 15 minutes to work the Left drum off. The right one came right off. I think I will start here and order a new one from Moss anyway.

T

TRDejaVu

Mine were completely seized after the car came out of the barn. I removed them, applied PB Blaster a number of times over a day and with some wiggling and a couple of curses they came free. Cleaned them up, checked the action and they are now back on the car working well.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
They are pretty stout parts so PBlaster should enable you to loosen them. What will help is to use a proper wrench, ideally the purpose-made tool for adjusting brakes. It is nice and square for a good grip with no chance of rounding the corners and just the right length for that 90 degree-swing you need to adjust them on notch at a time.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Heat (propane torch) will also help to loosen them, since the body is aluminum but the screw & wedges are steel.

Personally, although I have one of Joe Alexander's excellent brake wrenches, I prefer to use an 8-point socket on a 1/4" ratchet. Still gives a good grip, but easier to swing, IMO.

FWIW, the brake wrench I got from Moss, years ago now, didn't fit until I modified it.

OP
kindofblue

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
I let it sit in oil all night long and it is still seized. I am wondering if the heat from the last drive melted the screw to the housing? I bought one off eBay for $24. I can't be messing with this issue with the VTR so close.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I've literally "saved" dozens of Girling brake adjusters as Randall suggested, with propane torch heat to loosen everything up. Then disassemble, clean and reassemble (I like to use white lithium grease thoroughly but sparingly, of course). The only time I find this isn't worth doing is when someone has already expended too much effort turning the "square peg" with the wrong tool and/or with too much force, damaging it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Otherwise, I find it a very satisfying repair!