• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

door will not open

airlifter

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
On my 69TR6the drivers door will not open. I have removed the door pad and tripped the lock. Also removed the outside door handle to push tbe plonger in. It seems like the door is locked but I cannot get it to un lock or open. Any suggestions?

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I think the TR6 has the same anti-burst catch as the TR4A, if so, that can sometimes get really stuck. How about jacking the car in various places, in case there is stresses on the mechanism?

OP
A

airlifter

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I did get the door open but I am not sure how I did it. I kept working with the mechanism until it opened. I removed the latch and it seemed a little stiff. I lubed it up with PBB and it worked a lot easier. I don't know if it is fixed but it is working now.

I had this problem earlier and I thought it was the lock. I removed the key lock but had the problem again.

alanjohnturner

Jedi Trainee
I dont know TR6 locks well but I know 4A locks inside out and backwards.
UK spec 4As have different locks to 6s.

These locks have two independant locking mechanisms. One is operated by the door key. The other by pulling the internal handle.
On a 4A lock any wear on the key operated part can leave it so that the handle part gets stuck. This is of course completely confusing.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Although not a permanent solution, jacking up the car by sticking a jack in the middle or the back end of the frame on the side stuck may help to get it open, if anything is binding (one way or the other) the frame flex you create may help open it. The doors mechanisms can be sensitive to amount or lube, I know my TR250 drivers door didn't want to close until I cleaned and greased the mechanism.

OP
A

airlifter

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I worked on it for about 2 hours yesterday. The handle and latch would work perfectly until I closed the door. I would think I had it fixed and when I went back I had the same problem. I lubed and cleaned everything and still had the same problem.

The button would not push in. I got the door open and it would push in. When I had the door open I would put pressure on the latch in every direction and the button would push in.

I finally started adjusting the striker plate. I moved the striker plate out enough that it started working. I checked again this morning and it is still working fine. This did let the door sit out a little but I can can live with that for now.

Thanks for the suggestions

alanjohnturner

Jedi Trainee
Have you removed and dismantled the door handle?

The buttons are soft metal and wear a lot. There are springs involved which can break.

4A buttons also carry the lock but I think on a 6 the lock is further down in the door skin. So these have lots of ways to get jammed.

OP
A

airlifter

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I live in SW Va. Tazewell county.

I did remove the door handle. The springs are intact. I might need to adjust the button and then reset the striker.

Thanks