• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dog leg fit

dennisp

Freshman Member
Sorry to post an old question, but I could not find anything on search. My friend and I are restoring our BGTs and the red/brown dog leg patches from Moss will not fit. They are labelled Taiwan. Anyone have a problem? We have since ordered Heritage from another vendor. We assumed Moss was Heritage. Is it us or Taiwan part?

Steve_S

Yoda
I have no experience with dog legs specifically, but the Taiwan fender I bought 10-15 years ago was a terrible fit. The nose wasn't even the right shape and had to be cut and re-formed by a body man.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I took a chance and got the VB ones expecting to need to fettle to fit. I was pleasantly surprised. No idea which supplier they were using, this was about two years ago.

dsltek432

Freshman Member
I got the same panels you have from both VB and moss.I wound up using the arch?(at door opening) of the old panel and the remainder of the patch panel. I don't recall if it was made in taiwan or china, but I was not impressed.I did not know that heritage offered patch panels.

yb710

Freshman Member
All I know is that I have heard (and found out) that the "red" panels aren't worth a crap and the "black" panels are OK. I put the red primer doglegs on my B and had to put a slit in it to stretch it open to fit. Put in a small patch to fill the slit. I am currently helping a friend restore a TR7 and he also purchased the red primer doglegs. Had to cut them in half to gain about a 1/2" in length. Filled in with a patch from an unused portion of metal from another part he ordered. He did order a rear fender patch panel that was black. It looked like it had been hammered to shape by hand and did not even look right or fit right. Do not know where he got the panels. I ordered mine from VB, I think but that was about five years ago.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I had a no fit problem with a Moss part and they took it back and refunded my money with no hassle. Later they replaced their supplier. If their parts don't fit, tell them about it and they will look into the matter and try to correct it. If their not told, they can't fix it!
I truly agree that a lot of the Chinese parts are of a very poor quality. But, we have to remember, their only made there because the majority of folks refuse to pay many times the price if they were made here or in the UK. Even though the mark up is probably very high on Chinese parts. JMHO. PJ

Phantomracer

The red ones from taiwan don't fit well. But they do have a larger flange to get to the pinchweld.

Most of the better doglegs (black, made in UK) only wrap around the radius, but do not go to the pinchweld

But, yes, the offshore (usually red) doglegs do not fit right. But if you have enough metal by the door radius, you can trim the flange all together and weld along the seam like I did here (I used a NOS made in UK dogleg and wanted to keep the factory radius as perfect as possible.
Pass side rocker dogleg picture, finsihed product or here for all pics

Let me know if you have any questions on what/why I did what I did

Paul