• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Do I lose points with the concours committee...

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Not sure if this is a tongue-in-cheek question or not? These cars were certainly not finished to the highest standards in the areas that didn't show from the outside. I can't believe the number of paint runs in the engine compartment of my BJ7 as I prepare to drop in the Ford 5.0L motor (which I'm pretty sure is going to cost me a few concours points). I believe the theory of the concours committee is to recreate these cars as designed and not necessarily as executed by the boffins in Abingdon on a Monday morning after a few too many pints of Old Speckled Hen the night before. Therefore, I don't believe you're going to lose points. But if you are really building a concours car, you need to get the concours guidelines and communicate directly with committee members.

OP
S

suprgnat

Country flag
It was a little tongue-in-cheek, but serious also. I'd like anything that I modify to be reversible with the turn of a wrench, so to speak. I'll take HealeyRick's suggestion and pony up for a concours guideline so I'll at least know how far I've stepped over the line.

And to respond to AUSMHLY, I doubt I'll have a fifty when this is all done...

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Re: Do I lose points with the concours committee..

HealeyRick said:
I can't believe the number of paint runs in the engine compartment of my BJ7 as I prepare to drop in the Ford 5.0L motor (which I'm pretty sure is going to cost me a few concours points).

But if you are really building a concours car, you need to get the concours guidelines and communicate directly with committee members.

Dude, yup that 5.0L will cost you at least 2 points. That's funny!
Spot on with get the guidelines.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

suprgnat said:
And to respond to AUSMHLY, I doubt I'll have a fifty when this is all done...

I have the guidelines too. Used it a lot when restoring mine. Of course I'd deviated just a tad, well a large tad, now.

I have entered my car in two Concours events. And placed 2nd in both. But that's another story for another day. Anyway, I always have fun at car shows, even if they are serious Concours events. I was kidding with one of the judges when he approached and asked if I was ready to be judged. I told him my better half judges me all the time, so I've been ready for years. So the real question I asked him was, how many judges will be judging my car, and who can I bribe? He smiled and said that would be him. I said, how's twenty bucks sound. He said the going rate is now fifty. I said, I like your style.

Country flag

There is a disc available of Healey concours guidelines. They are different from the "concours de elegance" show stuff. The Healey judges look for originality while the others look for "pretty". The Healey guidelines are pretty tough and rightly so. They are NOT a people's choice award. Roger's baby is an outstanding "peoples choice" car. Wins all the time.