• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

DMH in the Streamliner at Bonneville

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for sharing the video, fun to watch! I was disappointed that the video was cut short and not able to see the result of Donald's two way average speed attempt. However, if I bother to dig a little I'm sure I can find it. Thanks again for posting it.

57_BN4

And this one from a couple of years earlier. Anyone know why the car doesn't have an 'S' grille?

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Really a great Video and a great testament to the Healey S. Those where truly some of the golden years of automotive history. My guess the 100s that is shown in the video was in consent transformation and performance enhancement. I'm not surprised some bits and pieces got lost along the way! Such as the 100s grill. Enjoyed watching it! Thanks 57! Last time I seen disk wheels like those where on editor Reid's 100M.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
And this one from a couple of years earlier. Anyone know why the car doesn't have an 'S' grille?

The endurance car was one of the Special Test Cars and was based upon a BN1, so the 100S grille had not been designed yet. I would hazard that the narration in the film with the reference to the 100S was done in 1955 or about the time the 100S was coming out, no doubt to help sell 100S's. The 100S was an evolution of the modifications developed on the Special Test Cars.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
After doing a quick web search, and reviewing the film clip...at the end Donald Healey and his crew are standing with that big chalk board with the speed endurance record results and also the year...1954. As there where only 50 100s cars built and first introduced in 1955 it stands to reason the 100s grill wasn't even made yet when this film was made. As Cleah states in the above post the car in the video is based on a BN1. I did not realize Caroll Shelby was one of the endurance drivers that day! No wonder the Shelby Cobra looks so much like a Austin Healey.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Actually, Shelby did not copy the Healey. The Cobra is an AC Ace with a v8 stuck in it. The Ace came out in 1953 when the 100 came out, and the Ace itself was based on the Tojiero Bristol. Fun trivia.

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Actually, Shelby did not copy the Healey. The Cobra is an AC Ace with a v8 stuck in it. The Ace came out in 1953 when the 100 came out, and the Ace itself was based on the Tojiero Bristol. Fun trivia.

Shelby DID, however, approach Donald Healey with a proposal to build Healeys powered by Chevy engines. DMH turned him down. After he struck out on the Healey idea, Shelby went to AC.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Aside from Donald Healey and Caroll Shelby, I was interested in Captain George Eyston as one of the endurance drivers. If anyone is interested check out the Wikipeoia on him. His references are very impressive and makes for some really great reading.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Quite correct about the 100S grille. The Bonneville records were done before the 100S was made. That is why the 100S has a plaque on the dash stating that the car is a replica of the car that set the records.
With regards to Shelby's involvement, don't forget that he also won the 1959 Le Mans 24 Hours, co-driving an Aston-Martin with Roy Salvadori.
I believe it was BMC that vetoed the 'Healey V8' plan, not Donald Healey.
Capt. Eyston was the Castrol representative and advisor to the Healey team, sharing his experience with Bonneville & record breaking in general.

Last edited:
Country flag
I seem to recall reading somewhere that DMH was all for the Shelby idea, but BMC management wouldn't allow it. Don't have my Healey books here so can't verify.

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

I seem to recall reading somewhere that DMH was all for the Shelby idea, but BMC management wouldn't allow it. Don't have my Healey books here so can't verify.

I've always wanted to know the details of the proposed Shelby-Healey. Working back from the Cobra's introduction in 1962, I'm guessing the car/engine combination was a BN7 with a 283 or perhaps the 327. I believe I've read the same info, that the reason the deal was nixed was because of Donald's contractual relationships with BMC. I've also read it didn't go forward because of Donald's desire to keep the Healey all British, although that didn't seem to stop the experiment with the Ferrari motor install. And I can't see GM having any interest in such a deal either. GM has always been pretty protective of the Corvette image and a Chevrolet-Healey would have easily bested the C2 Corvettes and probably the small-block C3s. I didn't mean to suggest that Donald was opposed to the concept of a V8 Healey as it's pretty well known he thoroughly enjoyed checking out the motor swaps when he attended meets here in the US.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Quite correct about the 100S grille. The Bonneville records were done before the 100S was made. That is why the 100S has a plaque on the dash stating that the car is a replica of the car that set the records.
With regards to Shelby's involvement, don't forget that he also won the 1959 Le Mans 24 Hours, co-driving an Aston-Martin with Roy Salvadori.
Capt. Eyston was the Castrol representative and advisor to the Healey team, sharing his experience with Bonneville & record breaking in general.

As I was reading the Wikipedia in regards to captain George Eyston I was noting how many patents he had in the automotive industry, Including the Eyston power plus supercharger. I have to think at some point Donald Healey, Caroll Shelby and George Eyston discussed mating possibly a American V8 and one of Eystons supercharges in the BN1. If that where the case, it would be safe to say they would have achieved a much higher speed record then 132 mph.

Last edited:

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As I was reading the Wikipedia in regards to captain George Eyston I was noting how many patents he had in the automotive industry, Including the Eyston power plus supercharger. I have to think at some point Donald Healey, Caroll Shelby and George Eyston discussed mating possibly a American V8 and one of Eystons supercharges in the BN1. If that where the case, it would be safe to say they would have achieved a much higher a speed record then 132 mph.
The 1954 Streamliner had a Shorrock supercharger. It hit 192 mph. The Endurance car was not supercharged.

57_BN4

Thanks for the info on the grille.

Interesting about the AC/Healey/Shelby connection. Wikipedia says that AC were looking for a new engine because the Bristol six cylinder unit they had been using was going out of production. The replacement Mk2 Zephyr unit they briefly adopted via Ken Rudd may have helped establish the AC-Ford Shelby connection. Andy.