• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Distributor cap for BJ8

elgatto

Freshman Member
A neighbor, non computer user, wants to know why Moss Motors shows "not available" for distributor caps for his BJ8. Brit. Victoria and Healey Surgeons list BJ8 caps for around $45.00. What's the story on the high price of BJ8 caps? A cap for my BN2 is $10.00. Any ideas?

Mike

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mike, I do not know about Brit.Victorias product. However, The part from Healey Surgeons is an OE{ Lucas} part and at $45.00 is a good price. Other sources charge $100.00 for this same part.There are other after market sources for these parts such as Beck/Arnley that are of good quality also, but $10.00 is not going to get you a BJ8 Cap--FWIW---Keoke

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Have you called them to try and buy one? I did and I am still in shock. I couldn`t find any and the one I did was almost 200.00. Thank goodness I already had a spare. Skip

OP
E

elgatto

Freshman Member
I didn't call anyone. My neighbor has the BJ8 and he is dismayed with the price of something as simple as a distributor cap. And, I agree with him. $200. is just gouging the consumer. I guess if you can't stand the heat in the kitchen.... restore a VW bug.

Mike

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
Ouch, Ouch ,Ouch,Ouch--Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was told by both Moss and Victoria British that the only manufacturer of caps with the Lucas name on them had gone out of business.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I don't know Skip, I can check it out tomorrow if its important. If they did then dealers that have NOS will be asking a kings ransom for them.---- Never the less neither of them in my Healey life time carried the Lucas item,but thats no excuse for the "NA" if you are supporting the Healey cars as they say. Back about 1986 until sometime in the nineties both of them carried a Mickey Mouse thin shelled cap{Moss Catalogue AHY 05 1989-- Cap Distributor 3000 from [E] 29F3563"] it would fail due to tracking or cracking I have one here in the shop that I use to only cover the internals of my spare Distributor. However, as I noted earlier Beck/Arnley recently back from an acquition by others was a source for a high quality part. ---Keoke

AndrewMawson

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
A neighbor, non computer user, wants to know why Moss Motors shows "not available" for distributor caps for his BJ8. Brit. Victoria and Healey Surgeons list BJ8 caps for around $45.00. What's the story on the high price of BJ8 caps? A cap for my BN2 is $10.00. Any ideas?

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

When I had this problem, I discovered that the BJ8 'side entry' cap is the same as used on 2.6 litre 6 cylinder Landrovers, and Landrover dealers have a more reasonable pricing !!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Andrew, Who was the Manufacturer of the Landrover dizzy cap???-Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Skip, It seems that it is true that the "Lucas" BJ8 distributor cap at the moment is no longer available from previous sources. Al Resto Shops with Items on hand have frozen sales to handle their in shop requirements.However, Some division of Jaguar has purchased all the original tooling but have not intiated production yet.SO, I think they will be available again in the near future.Finally,Lucas is involved in a Merger with Vanity Corp here in the US??-OH there is one @ $100.00 from European Midtown Autosports,there are probably some others lying around, but I didn't bug everbody I know-FWIW---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

AndrewMawson

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]

Andrew, Who was the Manufacturer of the Landrover dizzy cap???-Keoke

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a genuine Lucas 'new old stock' and a contemporary Unipart 'new old stock'.

FWIW the Landrover 2.6 litre 6 pot also has the same external oil filter housing as the BJ8 - worked a lot on that engine when I had one 20 years ago - used to get 9.8 mpg towing a light trailer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif