• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Dipping a TR6

cooptr6

Hi, I am new to this board and in the very early stage of restoreing a 69 TR6 CC25233LO, my second TR6. It has some rust on it in the normal places, both front still (inside & outside) and the right floor board. Where I am at a cross road is, do I have the body dipped to clean it or media blast and sand?
I have read and been told not to dip, because it can create more problems down the road if not cleaned correctly after dipping. But others tell me dipping is the only way to get at all the rust.
Has anyone done this?

Thanks for any information
Coop

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Depends on the type of dip...salsa gives you that permanent red tint, while bean and cheese leaves chunks.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

In all seriousness, I've heard pros and cons to both, but I'll let someone who has actually had experience in this area give their real opinions.

Bugeye58

Yoda
I had the body of my GT6 dipped about 12 years ago, and haven't noted any problems yet. The place that did it left it in the neutralizing tank for an extra couple of days, and it's been fine.
If there are any areas where the metal is thin due to rust, the dipping process will show you pin holes, where they weren't visible before.
Jeff

OP
cooptr6

cooptr6

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on the type of dip...salsa gives you that permanent red tint, while bean and cheese leaves chunks.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[ QUOTE ]

That's great, my wife and I move to Houston from New Mexico and I am a big fan of salsa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but I don't like red color cars, which this one is Damson, so it will end up being BRG.

OP
cooptr6

cooptr6

Jeff,

do you know what type of dipping chemicals they used? I been told there are different types.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Coop, unfortunately, I don't know what they used for the dipping bath. I'll see if I can find out, and get back to you.
Jeff

TR3cubka

Sand blasting usually isnt that great of an idea on sheet metal. It will look great when you are done, but after you paint it there is a chance that the metal will be VERY VERY wavy. Ive seen the results of a dip and to be honest id say its worth it. What kind of cons to a dip have others heard of?

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Depends on the chemicals, but generaly it's ok. just power wash it thoroughly, then chemical metal prep it. By the way painters hate sand blasting for good reason. Another by the way, you have yourself a very rare car in your hands, you might want to reconsider changing colors.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
So you're just moving to Houston, eh? Join up with the Texas Triumph Register (https://www.kingswayrc.com/txtr/) Also, if you need a great TR mechanic (and all-things British car mechanic) Joe Hamilton at Hamilton Motorsports is great (located just outside 610 and south of 59 on the SW side of Houston. -- At least that's where he was 3 years ago when I left.) I lived in Houston for 3 years, and that's when I started buying/driving TRs.

OP
cooptr6

cooptr6

[ QUOTE ]
Sand blasting usually isnt that great of an idea on sheet metal. It will look great when you are done, but after you paint it there is a chance that the metal will be VERY VERY wavy. Ive seen the results of a dip and to be honest id say its worth it. What kind of cons to a dip have others heard of?

[/ QUOTE ]

The car would not be sand blasted, but media blasted.

The biggest con to dipping is the chemicals getting into spots that do not get cleaned out very well. Also if the car is very rusted, the body falling apart, before you can repair it.

OP
cooptr6

cooptr6

[ QUOTE ]
Another by the way, you have yourself a very rare car in your hands, you might want to reconsider changing colors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think the car could be rare, except that it has a 73 engine in it.
I kind of fell into this car. I was looking for a 69-72 TR6 to work on and a friend found this car. He then decided it was more work than he wanted and talked me into taking it. I thought about it for a long time, because I want to change a few things to make it the car I want,(move the seat back, A/C, more HP, and some other stuff) and we knew it was a very early TR6. But I think that with the 73 engine, it is just another TR6. So anyways, the reason for the color change is that I am just not a red color kind of guy and Damson looks red.
I could be wrong about the car, but unless I could find another one in about the same condition & price to replace it, it is the car I brought.

OP
cooptr6

cooptr6

[ QUOTE ]
So you're just moving to Houston, eh? Join up with the Texas Triumph Register (https://www.kingswayrc.com/txtr/) Also, if you need a great TR mechanic (and all-things British car mechanic) Joe Hamilton at Hamilton Motorsports is great (located just outside 610 and south of 59 on the SW side of Houston. -- At least that's where he was 3 years ago when I left.) I lived in Houston for 3 years, and that's when I started buying/driving TRs.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I lived in the Houston area for 13 years and have been a member of TTR since 1993(?). I do most of the work on my cars, except for body work. That's was one of the reason I wanted another TR6, working on a Honda S2000 is a lot different. The last TR6 I did can be seen here https://www.kingswayrc.com/txtr/scndx03/pages/com1298.html

sammyb

Luke Skywalker

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As with all contractors, you need to check the quality of their work. Get references. I ran into a guy once who used to be a Redi Strip franchise, but he dropped the franchise. He had done a TR-3 and I wasn't impressed. But I'm not sure the guy does the best work.

Cost is a factor. Usually $1000+

V

vagt6

Billspit has a great point there, it's always a good idea to use contractors for your LBC work who have experience with repairing LBCs.

Sounds overly obvious, but it's a big factor. I've found that sometimes, experts in restoring american cars have no clue how to perform correct body work on LBCs.

Good luck, please let us know how it goes!