• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA Difficult Starting MGA 1500

donaldw

Freshman Member
My 1958 MGA 1500 is very difficult to start even in warm weather. I gring on it for about 5+ minutes even using starting fluid before it will start.
I replaced the fuel pump to no avail. I checked and I am getting sufficient gas to the carbs. I removed the float cover on the first carb (one nearest firewall) and the chamber was dry. I cleaned the chamber, set the float and cleaned the needle valve so it would move freely. Checked other float chamber and it was fine. Car still very hard to start
I have installed a Petronix electronic ignition with a sport coil. No help. Once the car starts and warms up, it will restart easily every time. What do I need to do? In your reply, please be basic as I am not very mechanical.
Thanks, Don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif <font color="red"> </font>

Steve_S

Yoda
I believe there is a screen in the carb somewhere. It may be dirty. When you got good fuel delivery, was it out of the pump or at the carbs? If at the pump, you may have a crushed or damaged fuel line or a dirty fuel filter.

how about electrical? do you have good spark at the plugs?. is all ignition wiring clean and tight? ground straps clean and tight? this sounds like a bad set of plugs.Have you tried a different brand? hows the compression?

we can help

Mark

Ps Welcome to the forum

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I agree -- hard starting such as you describe always has me looking first at the ignition (esp when you still experience this using starting fluid).

[Soapbox mode on...]

There seems to be a tendency to install Pertronix to try and fix an ignition problem. I think one is better off getting the stock ignition sorted out and them decide if a Pertronix unit makes sense for them. It has some advantages -- no need to spend 3 minutes adjusting the points twice a year -- and does address some problems -- notably a worn and wobbly distributor shaft -- but it is not a cure-all for a failed ignition.

[Soapbox mode off...]

For the non-mechanical (or non-electrical) the easiest way to diagnose ignition problems may be to have known-to-be good spares of everything and replace components one at a time until the culprit is found. Good news is that having all those spares takes little space or $$$ and will get you home someday under your own power rather than on the hook.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Don,What polarity is the electrical system in your car ; Neg or Pos Ground?? Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
I checked and I am getting sufficient gas to the carbs. I removed the float cover on the first carb (one nearest firewall) and the chamber was dry. I cleaned the chamber, set the float and cleaned the needle valve so it would move freely.
Thanks, Don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif <font color="red"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Don,
You didn't really say if there was gas in the float chamber after you cleaned everything. This is critical to solving the problem.
D