• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dennis Welch Cooling Fan

Henry

Freshman Member
Does anyone have any experience with this:

PLASTIC FIVE BLADE FAN:
Being of a modern design, these are very efficient in cooling and will stand higher revs without fear of breaking and flying apart causing serious damage. The asymmetric design makes these considerably quieter than the steel six blade.

https://www.bighealey.co.uk/category/catalogues/austin-healey/cooling?page=1

I know the "Texas Cooler" fan has not been available for at least a year.

Thanks,
Henry

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hello Henry,
I dont know if there has been complants relating to the dennis welsh fan. However, I did speak to a rep at Moss Motors not long ago, He told me moss is working on a new and stronger built texas cooler fan design. After testing it should be on the market between winter or this coming spring. He told me it will be worth waiting for! Personaly, I plan on buying the newly designed texas cooler fan soon as they are on the market again. Michael.

KCC

Freshman Member
I have a five blade asymmetric fan on my 1965 BJ8 - it is MUCH quieter and seems to move a good volume of air (190 degrees steady). As to strength; so far so good!

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
I've got one too and it's definitely quieter and the car is cooler, but this is England and I had the radiator re-cored at the same time. Right now I'm reining at 165 degrees, but come the summer.

Ash

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hello Kcc,Greetings from chicago..... I would like to ask if your healey is holding at 190 in summer or winter? Does it hold 190 degrees at driving speed or idle? Regards, Michael.

KCC

Freshman Member
Held 190 all through the last "English" Summer - temperatures rarely reach 80 here, whilst in this "English" winter it reaches 180-190 eventually. In traffic, I've seen 210 after a hold, but not more. When the fan was fitted, the thermostat was replaced, the radiator flushed and block flushed with core plugs out, so I don't know what did what, but I believe the fan was a major factor. The car was not prone to overheating (except in traffic) before. but did have a six blade even fan which was intrusively noisy.

busybrit

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I fitted the Dennis Welch 5 blade fan a couple of years ago on my 100-4 and it helped with my cooling issues over the original four blade alloy fan. My engine is fine until I stop in traffic then up goes the temp, but it never boils over, just runs rough until it gets moving again.

Since putting the louvered hood on the heat can now get out and that helps a little more. I can hold steady at 190 in the summer in South Carolina as long as it's not a crazy super hot day.

I'm sure it will work well for most std Healeys as mine does produce more heat than normal with a 10.3:1 compression ratio.

Country flag
When I stated my BJ8 gets 165 many said it was too cool for max fuel burning and that it should be 185 degrees. I am running stock rad, fan and thermostat. with 50/50 coolant and water-wetter. I run a little advanced on the dizzy and get 20 to 21 mpg on the hwy. and 16 to 18 mpg with only city driving. These babies vary so much as reported from the forum.
TH

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Although I have a Texas Cooler fan from the NTAHC, I do have plenty of parts from Denis Welch and they have all been first rate.

OP
H

Henry

Freshman Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. I seem to run around 190 last summer, unless it gets in the 90's and then it approaches 210. Just curious since the Texas Cooler is no longer available due to some quality issues. Having just suffered through the shop finally diagnosing a bad distributor condensor and then a bad master cylinder (glad I had the E-brake fixed!) from Moss, I'm beginning to look elsewhere for options.

I think I'll wait until the summer to decide.

Thanks,
Henry