• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cylinder head swap on web site

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I finally got around to posting a lot of the pictures from my cylinder head swap on a page on my site. I still have to do the A/F meter install and start on the chassis overhaul soon, since I have nothing under the car from the frame to the ground except jack stands at this time.

Mucho scraping, sanding and cleaning before the POR15 application, but that's for another post.

https://www.74tr6.com/cylinderhead.htm

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Awesome documentation Paul!!!

cyaker

Thanks for taking the time to share the pictures. Any concerns about clearance with the shaved head?

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thank you, Bill.

Cyaker, the only issue is that we calculated that the original shop took of about .010" to .015" and I had another .080" removed for a total of .090"-.095".

If there were any more removed, I would have had to go to the shorter GT6 push rods.

Other that that, it goes like heck, no ping, no oil issues and now I just need to get the frame and suspension done.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Paul- could you do a TR8 head swap for me for future references? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

G

Paul, when you eat your dinner, do you separate your food on your plate into sections???

Nice documentation.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - that is fascinating. I probably missed something - but what's the story behind the "rusted bolt [edit: stud]"? Did it "slip through the cracks"?

Any idea how the rust started there?

Thanks.
Tom
PS - that engine bay looks FANTASTIC! Bravo!

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] do you separate your food on your plate into sections???[/QUOTE]

Actually, I do, but then I cover everything with gravy and mix it all up together before I eat it.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Did you do a compression check after the new head was installed? It would be interesting to know how much the pressures increased.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
No, but when we do the retorque, that will be on the list of "to-do's". Good point, thanks for bringing it up.

I don't think that it will go up much, since I had no burnt valves and I don't think that having a higher compression ratio will actually raise the compression any higher than before. It could be an oxymoron.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] but what's the story behind the "rusted bolt [edit: stud]"?[/QUOTE]

Tom, I'm not sure and I wish that I had a better picture to look it over more closely. At the time, we were rushing to get it done so I could go to the British legends weekend the next day, so I didn't much forensic work with the time that we lost.

This is about the best that I can do for now, but I have the head in the garage and when the frame is done, I'll pull it out and look at the hole for the stud and the bottom surface of the head. The gasket did look good around the stud, so who knows?