• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Crane vs. Pertronix ignition

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
I had the Crane ignition with no problems but during my latest restoration I decided to go with Petronix. I only had about 7oo miles on the Crane but decided to go with the Petronix because I wanted it more simple and clean under the hood (didnt like the box and extra wires). I autocross with rpm up close to 6000, have I made a mistake going with Pertronix-----I know, "if its not broke dont fix it", but I wanted to go more simple. opinions please (will not go back to points, thats not an option for me.)

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I run the Pertronix in mine and I'm very happy with it. I don't run as hard as you do, but I'm happy, nonetheless.

PeterK

Yoda
Pertronix Ignitor II module with Flame Thrower coil, or Mallory Unilite. Or go back to the Crane.

dklawson

Yoda
I ran the Crane/Alison ignition on the GT6 until I got it wet while washing the engine and ruined it. I opted for Pertronix as the replacement since it's protected under the dizzy cap.

My father-in-law races a Formula-Vee and we installed a Pertronix in the Bosch distributor. He routinely pulls over 6k RPM on the straights and we haven't had problems with the ignition.

Pertronix Ignitor II mentioned above isn't available for all the Lucas distributors yet. If it's available for your car it would be a good choice as it's got less sensitive circuits. The trade-off is that Ignitor II won't support zero-speed firing. This means you can't static time the car. However, that's probably not a problem for you. Get it close enough to start and then use a timing light to set the dynamic timing.

In summary... you won't go wrong with either ignition system. The only reason I replaced my Crane/Alison unit was that I ruined it.

OP
A

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for all the replys, I talked to Pertronix about an Ignitor II, they said they havent made one for the 22d distributor because it will not fit inside.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nope Allan, no mistake going with the pertronics unit, it is much simpler in design no fiddly bits, everything fits well in side the cap and it is very reliable too.---Fwiw--Keoke

G

Just remember to pull the plug on your electronic ignition (whether it be Crane or Pertronix) if you plan on doing any work on your car with the ignition in the "on" position for over 2 minutes. These units are not designed to sit and cook like that. Ask me how I know. That said, supposedly the Crane 3000 (VB) unit has components in it that overcome this shortcoming.

I recently re-installed a new Pertronix unit in my car and while checking out my new rear wiring harness I was installing, I connected the battery to check the lights and forgot to unplug the ignition. Made me sweat, but I realized that I hadn't kept the key turned very long.

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ALLAN said:
I had the Crane ignition with no problems but during my latest restoration I decided to go with Petronix. I only had about 7oo miles on the Crane but decided to go with the Petronix because I wanted it more simple and clean under the hood (didnt like the box and extra wires). I autocross with rpm up close to 6000, have I made a mistake going with Pertronix-----I know, "if its not broke dont fix it", but I wanted to go more simple. opinions please (will not go back to points, thats not an option for me.)

Well, what mistake? I think the ultimate test of a Pertronix is in a really Hot V8 engine bay of a Triumph Stag with a tuned Rover 3.5. My Pertronix has not skipped a beat (touch wood) in 4 years of very hot summer drives, including baking in 120 degree F traffic in Dallas / Ft. Worth last year at VTR 2006, temp gauge at 235 F.
My 3.5 ECU rev limiter is set at 7000 RPM and it has been there a few times.
IIRC the Pertronix units are good to over 15000 RPM, so that is much higher than you will ever dream seeing.

The first Pertronix units were polarity sensitive, so if you reversed the wires you could - not necessarily "did" damage the unit. I believe that those units that "failed" were reversed polarity my mistake of the installer. Also there have been some issues people have complained about with the magnets on the collar shifting or falling out under heat. I have not experienced any problems with the magnets dropping or shifting and the magnets are pointing down on a large disk in my Dizzy - an AC Delco unit. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif