• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cool British tag

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
A friend of a friend died and my buddy went to his house and obtained this tag for me.
The guy was in the navy and the tag is from 1965. What does the 36 stand for (if anything)?
I especially like the 2 octagons and the MG OWNERS' CLUB insignia.
Now, how to mount this on a rubber bumper B.
See attached
Rick

Attachments

• 6152-PDR_0177.JPG
    6152-PDR_0177.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 165
OP
H

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
Sounds plausible, but the squadron was formed in 1995 and the plate is from 1965. Thanks for the link tho. I may be wrong.
Rick

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
The first 3 letters denote a region where the car was originally sold. The 36 is purely that, the 36th car. The F is the year.
So the 36 is the 36th car sold in that dealership (area) in that year.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Moss sells front brackets to mount the tag...they are ridgid enough to hold it and can take other "adapters" to fit up with the holes on the plate.

Bruce

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
hottvr said:
A friend of a friend died and my buddy went to his house and obtained this tag for me.
The guy was in the navy and the tag is from 1965. What does the 36 stand for (if anything)?
I especially like the 2 octagons and the MG OWNERS' CLUB insignia.
Now, how to mount this on a rubber bumper B.
See attached
Rick

If these are British plates, then the second two letters of the first group (AV) indicate the county in which the car was first registered. In this case (referring to my AA Member's Handbook from 1966/67) AV means Aberdeenshire.

I think the first letter of the group (N here) went from A to Z.

The second group is the car number, 36 in this case, followed by a year letter.

1963=A
1964=B
1965=C
1966=D
1967=E
1968=F
etc.

So this plate was issued to the 36th. car registered in the "N" series of plates, in Aberdeenshire in 1968 ...

Only cars owned personally by the Queen were (are?) exempted from having a registration number.

So this plate was on a car not belonging to the Queen ...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well THAT narrows it down some. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]referring to my AA Member's Handbook from 1966/67[/QUOTE]

What else you got in that library, julian?

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I was going to comment that the plate was originally issued to a vehicle first registered between 1st August 1967 and 31st July 1968, but Julian beat me to it.

Looks like it is an aftermarket item produced by the MGOC for one of its members, the original number plate would have had white plastic raised letters on a black plate.

OP
H

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for the great info. I was told the NAV was because the guy was in the navy. In small characters on the lower right is BS AU145a.
I think the greatest thing about this plate is the MG OWNERS' CLUB insignia on the bottom of the tag with 2 octagons.
Rick

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Well, the guy could have bought the number specially to mount on that car. There has been a flourishing trade in registration numbers since they allowed a little more flexibility with what you have on your car.

The BS characters indicated that the plate conformed with the applicable British Standard at the time that it was produced.