• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Converting to RHD

mylesw

Jedi Hopeful
Hello

How would one go about converting a big Healey to RHD? Roughly how much does it cost? And does this devalue the car? Appreciate some advice from someone who has done this, or knows someone that has.

Thanks

Myles

myleague, there was a discussion here on this subject about a year ago that should be in the archive, myself and a friend did this many years ago but we switched from rhd. to lhd i think you should make a list of the things your going to need first and see what the availability and pricing is. all the mounting holes should already exist on the side you want to switch to, cant remember if we had to replace the pedal box or not, i would think you can find a dash original or repro. its an interesting project, as far as affecting value anyone that might want a rhd. healey might not care what the heritage certificate says, are you planning on selling it overseas? or just like the novelty of rhd? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Had a RHD Bugeye for a few years..it was definitely a novelty....got a lot of looks from people when driving..found it a little unsafe because of the position it put you in on the road..

Pete

HEALEYJAG said:
Had a RHD Bugeye for a few years..it was definitely a novelty....got a lot of looks from people when driving..found it a little unsafe because of the position it put you in on the road..

Pete
i know what you mean, a buddy had an english taxi it just freeked me out every time i took a ride with him. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
I think this may be a comprehensive list of what would need to be done and changed.
Steering column
Accelerator linkage and pedal
Switch idler and steering arms to opposite sides
relocating master cylinder
dash (easier if a BJ8)
package tray (if not a BJ8)
Relocate squirter bottle (BJ8)
Reroute pressure line for oil gauge
reroute capilary tube for water gauge
Carpet with proper pedal pad on right side
Other possible issues
Relocating brake booster?
Wiring Harness?
All of this would seem to be quite expensive and would not increase the value of the car and might make it a harder sell here in the states.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Due to the number of Healeys imported to Australia from the United States, this conversion is done quite frequently here. But as my 100 was originally sold in England I have not done it myself.
My friends at The Healey Factory in Melbourne will be able to help. Their web-sit is: https://www.healeyfactory.com.au

AJAX50

Country flag
My BJ8 is ex US, it was converted to RHD about 12 years ago just after I bought it. I have to say repacing the steering components with new was the best thing I could have done.
Driving a car that is the opposite steering position for the roads is one thing, but the worst deal is for the passenger. I have a French friend in the UK who is the most placid person you could wish to meet untill he get behind the wheel of a car then he becomes a monster. Riding in the passenger seat of a LHD car driven by a mad Fenchman on UK roads is terrifying.

LEERIVAS

It all sounds well and good, but look into the insurance implications of RHD in a LHD country.

Is it worth the hassle? What about resale value? Will it still be deemed "original"?

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Myles -

When I moved to Hong Kong I took my California BJ8 with me and converted it to RHD.

Generally speaking the work is pretty straight forward and all in all (aside from the new steering column) is not all that expensive to do.

The main thing is you will have to reroute some of the brake and clutch piping and deal with swapping the dash over, plus your need all the linkages.

Probably the worst part of the whole swap over is replacing the throttle cross shaft which runs across the firewall directly above the clutch bell housing. It ain't easy to get in there with tools w/o taking the motor out.

If you are staying in the US I would definitely keep it LHD.

Converting it to RHD is only worth more if you are willing to sell it to the UK, where Healeys are worth more than they are in the US.