• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Converted to Negative Ground - Battery charging?

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
I just finished the conversion to negative ground. The car seems to be running fine with it. The tach is working which is the part I was worried about most. There are two problems though:

1. I don't think the generator is charging the battery. I tested to battery with a multi-meter and got a reading of 12.05 with the engine running. I revved it up quite a bit and the reading did not change at all.

2. Small, but may be related. The red ignition light comes on when I turn the car on, but does not go off when I get above 1000rpms. It does turn off when I turn the car off though.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Brandon

Jose_Miguel_Mahave

Freshman Member
oops, it seems very dangerous to me. I believe you are discharging your battery completely. It happened to me when I reversed the polarity of my bj8

this happens for incorrect conections on the tachometer. It discharges thru the red light

Jose_Miguel_Mahave

Freshman Member
i remember there are two small spades that connect the bulb holder with the tachometer chassis. I think they have to be removed to avoid the short circuit

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jose_Miguel_Mahave said:
I would discconect the tachometer while you discover what is going on

Hold on there the Lot of you! Brandon!, do not start the car again until you have polarised the generator. The generator is polarised for the previous ground configuration and must be redone as part of this conversion. Be back in just abit---Keoke

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Brandon,
Did you polarize the generator? Go HERE and look at #2 to see how to do it if you haven’t. I’d browse the entire tech article to see if anything was missed. The tach light normally has the same polarity to both sides of the light bulb, one lead from hot battery, the other from the generator. The light comes on at low RPM (or engine off) because it is reading the difference in voltage. Once the RPMs go up and the generator is charging, the voltages become the same (-12 originally) and the light goes out.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
T0 Repolarise the generator. Remove both leads from it. Connect a jumper lead from a +12Volt source under the bonnet and momentarily strike it to the small insulated terminal on the generator marked "F" for Field. Reconnect the generator leads and you can now start the engine and you may be good to go. Somtimes reversing the polarity causes the contacts inside the RB340 Controller -Voltage regulator- to burn. But lets see how you get on.--Fwiw--Keoke

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
I polarized it earlier using that exact link above. However, I did not disconnect both leads. Could that be the problem? I just disconnected the smaller terminal and used a live wire from the "B" terminal of the voltage regulator to polarize it (sparked a few times).

Thanks!
-Brandon

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No,just so the field is reversed. Does it charge now??--Keoke

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Re: Converted to Negative Ground - Battery chargin

Keoke said:

In my previous post I meant that when I did the entire conversion I used that link and am still having the problems. I haven't changed or done anything different since then. Is there something else I can try?

Thanks!
-Brandon

Ed_K

Jedi Knight

Brandon,

You might try to flash the field again.

The indications that you have are that the generator is not putting out anything so assuming that everything else is OK, try flashing it again. You will see a " healthy " spark when you do this. If you did see a fairly noticeable spark when you first flashed it, it may just need to be done again. Give it a try. But when you test it, it should put out 13.5 to 15 volts if it is charging and the red light will go out after it gets above 500- 800 RPMs. If not, turn it off in case something is wrong inside the voltage regulator or the tach is shorting the output from the genrator.

Ed

Ed_K

Jedi Knight

When I converted mine, I got so wrapped up with the tach changes that I almost forgot to swap the polarity of the ground at the battery.
Double check all of the steps that you did if reflashing doesn't help.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

BrandonBJ8 said:
Keoke said:

In my previous post I meant that when I did the entire conversion I used that link and am still having the problems. I haven't changed or done anything different since then. Is there something else I can try?

Thanks!
-Brandon
Well we better take a look at the voltage regulator. Shut Battery power down on the car. Remove the voltage regulator cover where you will see a very hefty set of points Located on the RH outboard side of the regulator . Using a fine grained non shedding sand paper clean these points and see if charging is restored.---Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold

If you didn't flash the field correctly, the RH contact may be severely burned or missing.
D

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee

Okay, now don't get too mad...but I forgot to reconnect the generator after I finished!!! I went back to go a reflash it and saw that it wasn't even connected!

Now the light goes off after about 500rpms and the battery is charging when I rev the engine. It looks like everything is successfully converted and working!

Thanks to all for your help!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

BrandonBJ8 said:
Okay, now don't get too mad...but I forgot to reconnect the generator after I finished!!! I went back to go a reflash it and saw that it wasn't even connected!

Now the light goes off after about 500rpms and the battery is charging when I rev the engine. It looks like everything is successfully converted and working!

Thanks to all for your help!

-------12345678910^?/>,"":&*&**(*&^&*(*&6)__++!@#@!@--Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

<span style='font-size: 20pt'> </span> Finese

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior

That's ok. Now we've all got lots of troubleshooting advice when it happens to someone else.