• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Confirm Fluids .......

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi All -

About to do some PM and wanted to confirm before I became Dumb Current Owner (aka DCO).

Oil: 20w50 less than 10k on rebuild and 99% summer drive
Tranny: 30wt
Diff: 90wt (gear oil)
Carbs: Brand new Weber (no oil needed)
Radiator: Normal Prestone (by eye) 50/50

Quantities....

Oil 5 qt + 1 (or so with oil cooler = 6
Tranny ?????????
Diff by eye

Thanks all - off to a buddy's shop tomorrow night for a day or two of fun. If I'm lucky - I'll even get some of the "when I have time to" items off the list like my recond tach that just sits in the hole (I know, the time necessary to hook it up).

Tx-

Geo

walshja

Jedi Warrior
george, I think you got it !!

the tranny is like your differential, fill until it overflows.

if you are off to a buddies shop, you should plan on changing your hydraulic fluids as well, and make sure you bring your grease gun for your suspension and hand brake spots.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Way too much oil there George. I think it's something like 3.5 or 3.9 quarts. Unless you add 5 like I did and wonder why the engine is so sluggish to rev as you drag the crank through the oil and foam it up.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
walshja said:
george, I think you got it !!

the tranny is like your differential, fill until it overflows.

in other conversation, I get the idea that the consensus is to fill the diff to about an inch below the hole, then it won't seep out the axles or the pinion

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
v8mgbal said:
hello, I thought the tranny used the same oil as the engine.

tranny oil depends on the tranny I think

v8mgbal

Jedi Trainee
hey all, but I thought the diff. oil is what lubes the bearings so doesn't it need to be full to get to those bearings.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
a bit below the fill hole is full enough, up to the fill hole just means more likely to leak, stick your pinky in there, bend it down, when it comes out wet, stop filling.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks,

I`m about to do the same procedure. Engine, Trans and Rear: Engine & Rear are OK. I would like to be certain about the "TRANS" fluid.

Some people suggest using "Gear Oil"!

George, Is that "Straight 30W Engine Oil"??

Thanx, Russ

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If you have any engine from 948 through 1275 and a stock tranny ie smooth or rib case, use the same oil as the engine.

v8mgbal

Jedi Trainee
hey all, looked in my shop manual and it says to use engine oil for the tranny which is 20w50 in my 1275 eng.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
That's always been my understanding. Consensus in previous posts were that the 1500s take 85w-90 GL4 in the tranny and diff, but all the BMC engines (anything other than the 1500) takes 85w-90 GL4 in the diff ONLY, and take 20w-50 in the engine and trans. Either Castrol 20w-50, or Redline, or Valvoline racing oil; (all proven to have enough ZDDP.)

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Even if the differential oil level is a little low, you'll still get oil to the rear bearings. Remember, it gets flung all over the place when the car is moving. And, since it's getting to the rear bearings anyway, keeping the level low won't do much to prevent leakage at the hubs if the seals aren't OK.

OP
George Zeck

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Did all last evening ....

Most looked pretty good. Did no harm in replacing 3 - 4 year old fluids.

Tx-

Geo

walshja

Jedi Warrior
hey George, did you grease up your suspension? I did mine last night.

I put under a thousand miles on the car since I last greased the suspension, and I was pushing out some dirty grease, seems like this should be done more often than not.

OP
George Zeck

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Joe -

Yes - we did grease up the suspension. Frankly, I thought it was the coolest things. My buddyhas a shop and has a pneumatic / air driven grrease gun. 7000lbs of pressure sures kicks out the bad old stuff. It was prett cool!!

Tx-

Geo