• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Collector Car Insurance

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I did have AON, and got the notice that they were stopping their service. I didn't like the policy from the company they moved me to, so I went to Hagerty.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The options seemed pretty similar, price was a bit more -- about $140 versus the $100 at AON for similar limits, per year. I liked that they allow "pleasure use" which could be occasional drive to work, to the store, etc. No mileage restrictions either. They've been around for a long time, so hopefully they won't disappear like AON did. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The women I talked to on the phone seemed to be a genuine car person as well, very friendly.

https://www.hagerty.com

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Doesn't Hagerty require a locked garage? That was a problem a few years ago when I bought my '73 Midget.

I keep it in a Pace 8x16 enclosed trailer which is really handy. During the winter I heat it (60 degrees) and during the summer it's air conditioned (80 degrees). The trailer is finished inside and pretty much dust free; there's one small 4" round trap door in the floor for the power cord which I keep plugged up with a rag. I've had no rodent or moisture problems in three years.

Because of the garage issue I wound up going with my long time State Farm agent. They matched the price I got from Hagerty and have no issues with where or how much I drive it. I've since added the trailer, TR3, a couple cars that have come and gone, and will also insure the Sprite (when completed) with them.

Ray

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hagerty does require a locked garage, which luckily I have -- okay, it was a requirement when we bought our house. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
I 've got the locked garage as well...BUT, it's got a TR3 and a project Sprite in it right now. I'm always working on something in the garage so it's really not a good storage option for the Midget.

What I REALLY need is a stand alone 24X36 shop! Then I'd have plenty of garage space!

Ray

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ha, for how long? Seems like you do have room out back.

RickB

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]What I REALLY need is a stand alone 24X36 shop![/QUOTE]

AMEN!!

My feelings exactly!!!

Now - WTH am I thinking getting a refinance with cash out to replace my roof? Where the dickens are my priorities??
I should be building a fantastic 24 x 36 shop!!

I wonder what it would cost if I did all the work myself...
I know it depends on the materials I choose, hmmm... time to put together a spreadsheet!

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
I use JC Taylor in Upper Darby, Pa. Other than being a bunch of elderly folks running the place and kinda cranky at times it's a nice place. Sometimes it reminds me of a box of chocolates.

RickB

Yoda
I called my State Farm agent and felt like I got a full plate of BS served up.

She told me they only do the collector car insurance for cars that are complete with all original parts and are in very good condition. Only show cars is what she said.

WTHeck???

Does anyone insure cars that are registered as collector cars but are not kept in a locked garage and are driven occasionally for pleasure? State Farm is going to charge me $600 / year without any comp / collision on the policy. Gee they are giving me underinsured coverage and liability and pip... This is my third / forth active vehicle with them.

Help me Obiwan...

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You may have trouble finding someone who won't require the locked garage bit. Every collector place I looked at required one.

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
I use Hagerty but they do require a garage. I can only insure 2 of my MGs with them as I only have a 2 car garage. That said, they are extremely nice to deal with (no claims yet so can't speak to that side of things) and were even happy to give fire and theft coverage on the pile of parts that will one day become an MGA. I asked about driving to work and they said if it was only once or twice AND the car was parked off street at the office that that would be okay.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I've got Bugsy insured through Haggerty. $4,500 agreed upon value. Price is $100 annually and includes Road Hazard/Breakdown. Must be a second car not a daily driver not sure if there is a requirement about a garage or not in the policy. There are other Collector Car Insurance folks out there that will provide Agreed Value coverage and actually understand the Collector Car Hobby and hte things we do to our LBC's that actually make them invaluable and irreplacable.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
American Collectors Insurance

$100 per year agreeded valuation $12,000, full coverage.

2500 miles
locked garage
pleasure and to shows

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
I have three cars presently insured with Hagerty for a combined value of $34k, one is modified which costs more. I pay just under $600, when I switched to them last year, others on this forum who had made claims with them were satisified.

Patrick

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Rick,
I have my '73 Midget and '60 TR3 currently insured by State Farm. My '62 Sprite was with them previously, but since it will be off the road for a year I dropped the coverage. I've also had a '66 Midget and even a '60 Bugeye vintage race car (more or LESS street legal) insured with them during the past two years. This is in addition to my Titan pick-up and Pace enclosed car hauler.

For comparison sake, the '73 Midget runs $280.66 per year and the TR3 $215.78. This is with a stated value of $15,000 and $10,000 respectively; not enough to replace them, but covers what I paid.

Both cars cary the following coverages:

100K/300K Liability/Bodily Injury
100K Property Damage
25K Medical Payments
$50 Deductible Comp.
$50 Deductible Collision
Emergency Road Service
Uninsured Motor Vehicle $50K/$100K; $25K Property; $250 Deductible

I could save a bit by raising the deductibles and dropping the Emergency Road Service (I also have AAA).

There is no requirement for locked/secure storage. There is no stated limit on mileage; under the heading "Ordinary use of vehicle..." is simply states "Limited use antique/classic."
I have never provided odometer readings as they are not required for this category of vehicle.

I drive my cars when I want, as much as I want, for whatever purpose I want, and park them where I want.

The "Class" of the policy is "1S00000".

NOTE - I DO receive a discount for multi-vehicle. I am also accident free.

Hope this helps,

Ray

RickB

Yoda
That is interesting - thanks Ray.
I will ask them about the policy class 1s00000 and see what they say.

They initially told me I would have to bring the cars in to them so they could look them over, verify odo and decide if they would qualify. Maybe it's the difference between WA state and GA? I don't know but I'm not pleased with the treatment after I've shown 20 years of customer loyalty.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Leverage that long term customer loyalty. I've been with SF since I was 16...that was #$&% years...a long time ago!

My agent asked me to send him some digital photos via email...I just pointed him at my website instead. About a month later I did stop by so he could do some photos of his own as required.

The Bugeye didn't have a VIN, and they needed "a number"..."any number"...so I took a photo of the tag on the radiator and sent him that...he was happy /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Ray