• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Code Underneath the Commission Plate

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
I just took the comm plate off my TR-2 and underneath is some writing that I'm sure came from the factory. It's in a yellow marker and it reads the following:

2MX
HTR
USA

I know that solves the heater in the car mystery, but any ideas what the 1st two lines mean? Anyone else find anything like this dismantling their cars? Pic attached. Just curious..thanks..

Attachments

• 138748-0004.JPG
    138748-0004.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 98

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Way cool! I've got no idea but, Way cool!
I hope I find some stuff like that.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Mark,

Yes, I found a printed tag inside the seat of my car that read "Zest", which was the code name of the TR4 while it was in development. I suspect the seats were assembled elsewhere and likely stockpiled in advance. By '62, when my car was built, the code name was long gone and the TR4 name well-known.

Oh, and I found some S&H Green Stamps during disassembly, too. Maybe I should sell them on eBay.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17620L

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I suspect the 82 is the color.

On this site (Triumph Sports Six Club) they list touch-up paint available for 'Carmine - code 82'. I don't recall that Carmine was a standard TR2 color but of course you could order them in any color you wanted.

https://www.tssc.org.uk/catalog.asp?catalog=sitemap

Maybe '2MX' referred to the tires to be fitted -- they used several brands but Michelin X's were a favorite.

Just guessin' of course.

Others have also reported finding notations under the commission plate and of course the engine blocks often had notation on the side just above the starter -- nothing too revealing, my TR4 says 'TR4'.

Best thing I found were 2 cigarette butts in the ashtray... brand was "Triumph".

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Congratulations, Mark your car was a customers special order. The 82 is indeed the colour code for Carmine Red. While trying to decide on what colour to paint my spitfire, I went through my bosses old Standard Triumph book at work, and all the colours have a numerical code like that. I'm not sure what the 2MX is sorry. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm willing to bet the HTR means it has a heater, and the USA meant it was for a customer in the states. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

OP
Mark_Gibson

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
Walter,

Thats as good an explanation as any. The heritage certificate I just got in the mail says Signal Red, with a stone leather interior. So now I'm a bit confused, as the car right now looks like a signal red car, under the dash and everywhere else!

Thanks,

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I wouldn't be that confused by it Mark, my bosses Triumph book is from I think 76 when he became the Triumph/MG shop here. I would think it would be standard procedure to have some minor changes in the colour codes over the span of some years.

Yellowdog

Alan,

Take a look at Russ Austin's post on the second page of the "Mystery Car" post. (I would have put the link here but I am computer challenged today) He has a picture attached of the '63 Zest prototype. Even though it was built in '63 it sure has a strong resemblance to the TR4 and of course, the -6.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations, Mark your car was a customers special order. The 82 is indeed the colour code for Carmine Red. While trying to decide on what colour to paint my spitfire, I went through my bosses old Standard Triumph book at work, and all the colours have a numerical code like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
An interesting theory; however, Triumph didn't start using those color code numbers until around 1964 (at least that's when they first started appearing on commission number plates). Carmine Red, meanwhile, is a 1970s color.

Somewhere I have seen mention of the sort of coding found under commission number plates. If I find the reference, I'll pass it along!

OP
Mark_Gibson

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
The 8 is faded enough, it just might be a 3..let me know if y'all find anything else out about these numbers..I might give Dave a call at TRF and see if he knows anything about them.

Thanks,

OP
Mark_Gibson

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
Dave passed me to Don Elliott from the TRA. I'm going to email him and see if he has any ideas.

Thanks,

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
"Old English Ghosts" as Peter Egan called them.

Too cool, I wouldn't erase them