• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Clutch slave stay rod

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Found another missing part...it's the stay rod for the clutch slave cylinder, pn 106702. This is the brace rod that goes from the slave bracket to the engine oil pan bolt. Apparently the early one was up to TS13046, and a newer version after. So, I know what the later one looks like on my TR3a, but I have no idea what the difference is. Does anyone have a picture or discription? Like, does it take a different route around the downdraft tube, or attach to a different pan bolt?

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Some of the older books show that smaller slave cylinder in there pictures, but I do not know if it goes back that early. If I remember correctly, the difference is what side of the bracket the cylinder bolts to.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks, Steve. All I know is from checking the parts list and big three. They list a different mounting bracket for the slave cylinder prior to TS13046. The cylinder is shorter and fatter looking on the earlier version, so I imaging the bracket has a larger cutout. Of course all the early versions are NLA. I have the original bracket, and the rod is just a rod, so I can fabricate it...but a pic or two would get me started. Do you remember which books showed the early set-up?

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I found it, so the emergency is over! It's coming from Rimmer bros out of the UK. For once shipping was not more than the cost of the part. Looking at the picture for the part, I couldn't tell what the difference is. When I get it I'll post for posterity...it'll probably be so close to the newer rod that I could bend the new to work, but we'll see.

Now for those wire wheel hub collars....

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yeh the Triumph Sports Car—illustrated Book on page thirty one shows a tr2 slave cylinder. Actually I think the whole booklet shows tr2. The book is the owner’s manual that came with the cars

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Looking closer the book shows what looks a 56 or 57, but the pictures look like those artist drawn deals, so who knows how old they are, but it is early stuff. I had to edit my post of your ignition switch comment to “I did NOT know that” because it sounds like I was being a wise guy when I left out the word ---NOT.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
No sweat! LOL...Modern spell checkers teach us to read through the odd word here and there.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Got the new stay rod. It is, indeed, very different from the later TR3 style. There are three bends in three different planes. Anyway, one more part accounted for!

One final question on this topic...anyone happen to know the thickness of the spacer between the oil pan and stay rod?

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hey John I have what I believe to be an original set up and the wash is about 3/16 think and Âľ wide. I will look around and see if I can find another one.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Steve. For some reason I thought it was taller, but I guess it just needs to clear the lip on the oil pan. Glad I asked!

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
John I just had to clarify this post. The knob/loop on the back of the clutch support stay-rod will act as the spacer. The picture I posted was the spacer for the connecting bridge piece between the breather tube and the oil pan. The power of suggestion is interesting because I thought there was a spacer also, and looked all over for one, but when I put the stuff together this week I remembered/noticed the difference.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks, Steve! I got under Marv's old car to see if I could steal the spacer from it. It didn't have a spacer, so I just set the parts aside to determine later whether it needed one or not. Good to know I'm not missing a part...for once!

By the way, I'm starting to get jealous. It sounds like you're leap frogging ahead of me! I'll be slowing down for a while, as my daily driver Jag with a V12 just swallowed it's timing chain tensioner. A little part held with 2 bolts, but the whole front of the car has to come apart to get to it. So...I'll be following your posts while you scout ahead!