• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clutch Noise!!

Quelch

Well I took my TR3A for another run earlier today and noticed that I was getting a chatter/squeal from the clutch when driving!! The car has only done 60 miles since a total frame off restoration in which all the clutch components were replaced (TR4A diaphram clutch was fitted) including the thrust bearing and sleeve. The noise is there all the time and will only stop when a little pressure is applied to the clutch pedal and indeed when the clutch is being opperated. as soon the clutch pedal is released the noise returns.
The noise is coming from the bell housing. Does anyone have any ideas. Many thanks

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
What bearing did you use? How do you have it adjusted? <span style="text-decoration: line-through">What did you do about the difference between the TR3A and TR4A clutch slave?</span>

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Throwout bearing is probably in contact with the bearing face of the pressure plate. Try adding more freeplay by adjusting the pushrod from the slave to the fork. TR3 driver's question may play into this issue.
Bob

OP
Q

Quelch

Hi Randall,
I'm using a TR4A gearbox, that's why I used the diaphram clutch. All replacement clutch parts were TR4A including thrust bearing and sleeve.
Do you have any tips on adjustment.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I agree with Bob, it sounds like the TOB is dragging on the pressure plate fingers.

Make sure the return spring is present and accounted for, then set to the factory adjustment of 0.1". I'm running a similar setup in my TR3 (except it's a later TR6 gearbox) and that works for me.

But if you still get the squealing noise, I would probably try going the opposite direction : back off on the adjustment and then install a preload spring. There are several kinds of bearings sold as replacements that do not turn as easily as the stock bearing, and they frequently cause this kind of problem.

Attachments

• 28924.jpg
    28924.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 146
OP
Q

Quelch

Thanks for the diagram, I'll try that tomorrow. Both thust bearing and sleeve were purchased through Moss Europe P/N GRB211 & 147848
Thanks again

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yep, my clutch behaved exactly the same and made sounds like that when I had it adjusted incorrectly. The clutch would engage when the pedal was only 1/4 or 1/3 off the floor.

After I adjusted the slave to factory (0.1" or 2.5mm) the noise vanished and the clutch would engage when pedal was 2/3 to 3/4 from floor.

Bob