• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clunking from rear shocks ...?

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
My rear shocks are making a clunking sound. This is happening upon launch and in the first few milliseconds of braking. I've checked the rear brake cylinders and they are staying firmly in place. Do my shocks require a rebuild or flush and fill periodically. I am fairly certain that tje previous owner did not maintain them.
Thanks
Steve
oakville, ontario

oxford

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Steve
I could be on the wrong track but my MGA was doing the same. It turned out to be worn hub splines: a clunk on braking and lift off. Might be worth checking if you haven't already replaced them.
Cheers
Matthew

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
My rear shocks are making a clunking sound. This is happening upon launch and in the first few milliseconds of braking. I've checked the rear brake cylinders and they are staying firmly in place. Do my shocks require a rebuild or flush and fill periodically. I am fairly certain that tje previous owner did not maintain them.
Thanks
Steve
oakville, ontario
Before you tighten up the shock bolts check to see if you have movement that would indicate the holes in the frame mount have gotten "oval". Same for the shocks. I had this problem with one shock mount on the rear.

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I also traced a clunking in the rear of my BN7 to the two bolts that attach the left rear shock to the frame. Both loose. The right side was snug, however.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If the splines are worn, try tightening up the wheel spinners a tad to prevent movement - just to see if it reduces/removes the problem. I know my front splines are worn and I get a clunk on braking, wacking up the spinners helps, they are down for replacement in the fullness of time along with new wheels. The shock bolts are also prime suspects as previously stated - best of luck

:cheers:

Bob

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The shock mounting bolts need to be very tight. If shock is indeed loose or holes are oval, suggest replacing mounting bolts with grade 8 bolts and tall nuts with medium-strength threadlocker - to be able to tighten extra tight.

Flange locknuts would probably also work well. See:
https://www.fastenermart.com/html/encycnuts.html

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I also traced a clunking in the rear of my BN7 to the two bolts that attach the left rear shock to the frame. Both loose. The right side was snug, however.
It also was my left rear shock. Common problem to this particular shock?

Country flag
The shock mounting bolts need to be very tight. If shock is indeed loose or holes are oval, suggest replacing mounting bolts with grade 8 bolts and tall nuts with medium-strength threadlocker - to be able to tighten extra tight.

Flange locknuts would probably also work well. See:
https://www.fastenermart.com/html/encycnuts.html

I use hardened/Grade 8 flatwashers under the bolt heads. This increases the clamping area and hence the total clamping force of the (Grade 8) bolts. Also, I'm a big fan of threadlocker but it didn't work for me in this application (possibly because the bolt can turn). I use split lockwashers.

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Must be something about rear left shock! Mine also was leaking and moving.... Perhaps the leaking is what started the loosening of the bolts?

I have just fitted telescopics - a few more weeks of trimming and fitting seat belts etc, and then I can try them out! :driving:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the advice everyone. The shocks are very tightly bolted the frame. Does anyone know if there is a mtce procedure for them?
thanks
steve

Am a little confused. The shocks have been bolted solidly all along and still clunk? Are you sure it's the shocks? Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

OP
S

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
No, I am not certain that the clunking sound is due to the shocks. To rule out the shocks as the source of the noise, I checked for tightness as recommended by the various posters, and I would now like to perform the maintenance procedure on the shocks -if there is such a procedure. As mentioned previously, I doubt that mtce on the shocks was ever performed by the previous owner, and if there is such a procedure, my shocks would therefore be due for it. Does anyone know if there is one? I had imagined that this might include fluid changeout (and how to do that) as well as changing parts know to wear out....

steve

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am not aware of any maintenance (short of a complete rebuild) other than topping them up with oil occasionally.
Keith