• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clip on hardtops for a Bugeye

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Clip on hardtops for a Bugeye

I have a chance to buy a original clip on for a reasonable price, that needs restoring but is complete. Trying to decide if I should buy it.
The first reason is that they are a sought after item, so many were made, and every time one get used for restoration one less available.
The second reason is since my car will be used often it will protect car from weather, and can be driven in different envirments

But are the hardtops functional, are they just for show, are they hot? I live in the south (I can install foil wrap to help)

I guess the real questions is would you buy one to actually use?

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Re: Clip on hardtops for a Bugeye

I guess I should mention where I live, we rarely get more than frost so car will be driven all year

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag

So much depends on how you want to enjoy the car.

On the freeway, a top is worth 10% in either top speed or fuel economy. Those who live in warmer climates may want the shade that a top provides. There is also a little added security when you leave the car in a parking lot. (very little, but some) It will also trap some sound IN, slightly raise the center of gravity, and weigh just a little bit more, with all that extra weight brings.

You already know the joys of driving with the top down, wind in the, sun and shadow playing across the cockpit, the ability to HEAR cars approaching from the rear, etc.

On the other hand you have different fingers.

In short, .. if you make short drives, or very spirited ones, NO TOP, but
if you do Long drives, and putter around, there is a lot of comfort to be had with a hard top on.

my 2 cents.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight

I was thinking about confort level, since vehicle will be driven alot. Dailey. Will it cut down on wind noise, sound level over a soft top. will it make it a easier car to drive every day??

nomad

Yoda

I've been looking for a reasonabley priced hard top since I fitted the 1275. When I had a 948 I always kept the speed down [no choice!]. The bigger engine and higher rear gears let me drive at a speed where the wind buffeting becomes uncomfortable in my opinion. My soft top at 75+ is nerve wracking as well. So if you don't want it I'll pay shipping!

Kurt.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight

nomad said:
I've been looking for a reasonabley priced hard top since I fitted the 1275. When I had a 948 I always kept the speed down [no choice!]. The bigger engine and higher rear gears let me drive at a speed where the wind buffeting becomes uncomfortable in my opinion. My soft top at 75+ is nerve wracking as well. So if you don't want it I'll pay shipping!

Kurt.
I have had convertibles all my life, In the summertime they can be hot without top up down below the Mason Dixion. As everday drivers the top usually stayed up, windows down to help with all the wind, sunburn etc..

I always ran a white soft top, except for a Geo Tracker that had a black top. What a difference in heat inside vehicle.

So maybe I'll try it for a while and if it dosen't work out I will call you. My Bugeye will also have the larger motor and 5 speed.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag

With the Hard Top on, the buffeting is gone, and you don't have to put up with the rumble that a soft top makes either. Wind noise is still there as it whistles around the B pillars, and mechanical noise gets trapped and echos in the hard shell. But part of the 10% that putting a hard top on gives ya is the lack of buffeting. Heck it's almost like driving a "real" car.

I must admit to having put the shell back in September. Usually I wait until daylight savings time to change as my marker for top on and top off, but I wanted to show the car Labor Day Weekend with the top. I'll leave it on until I get back from Wisconsin in July. With the new rear springs, and new wheels and tires, and the top on, it's almost like driving a Cadillac! Except for the noise, seating position, etc. ... But it is great not to be buffeted.