• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clear coating polished aluminum

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
All this talk to windscreen rebuilding has be itching to do that next. I was going to have the screen and posts polished, but one thing I found after having my cockpit surrounds polished is that after a season of use, they look pretty dull. Has anyone had experience with having the aluminum polished, then clear powdercoated? I'd imagine they would hold up like wheels that are done the same way.

Country flag

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The items listed were polished AND anodized from the factory.. I had mine redone twenty years ago they are as shiny as back then..

Jimflorida

Jedi Trainee
I used Glisten PC, a 2-part clear finish for polished aluminum and other metals made by POR-15 on my windshield posts. Just painted it on and it flowed out nicely with no brush marks. I am pleased enough with the job. Jim

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Miss Agatha had hers polished and anodized.

Attachments

• 27256.jpg
    27256.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 306

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I can tell you that after visiting with Jack and admiring Miss Agatha, I'm sending my aluminum out to the same people who did his. The finished work is absolutely beautiful and durable. I've looked at a lot of Bugeyes over the past several years and the details on Miss Agatha set her apart. I'm using the same blaster and painter in N AL as well...both Tony and Jack were well pleased with the results and I can see why.
Rut

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
Jimflorida said:
I used Glisten PC, a 2-part clear finish for polished aluminum and other metals made by POR-15 on my windshield posts. Just painted it on and it flowed out nicely with no brush marks. I am pleased enough with the job. Jim

I used Glisten on my nickel plated suspension pieces and it worked well. No chips so far and it still shines like new. Be sure not to shake the can, just stir it, if not you will get bubbles in the finish. Ask me how I know......

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Note that the most costly part of the process is the polishing (rubbing out) of the scratches etc. Any deep gouges present a problem in anodizing.. So.. the more quality work you do(have done)prior to taking in the lesser the quote..You pay the plater not for the equipment but for their attention to detail..

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am curious about the anodizing process. I didn't realize that was how they finished the parts. Does that process dull it down after the polishing?

jgrewe

I just ordered some new clear powdercoat to try on a project. I've tried 3 or 4 clears of various gloss levels and I've been told this new one is the clearest/highest gloss yet. I will polish and coat a spare piece of surround once I have it and post it up. I'm undecided on what to do with my own so we can find out how it will look.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well yes in a way..the reflective qualities are less intense than with other coating methods I've seen. The windshield posts produce the most marked difference. Anything but anodized and they don't even come close to looking like factory.. On another note: Anodizing by the factory was probably one of the cheaper coating options.. treating brandie new parts was a piece of cake... The soft metal qualities of the cabin trim along with the repeditive attaching and removal of harder metal side curtains and bow produced may scratchs to their surfaces or worse.. Trying to restore beat up parts for anodizing is a laborious and time consuming process.. ie. bottom line in my opinion other methods including the afore mentioned produce good and less expensive results..but they just ain't like the factory look stuff...

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bugeye posts were painted. Same as the wheel rims. At least by 1959 and 1960.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I guess I should state that I'm not restoring the car. I appreciate polished and brilliant pieces of aluminum. It simply looks good. The car will be modded and although keeping it a-series, will not original by any means.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I know my plated posts look about the same shade of silver as the wheels... From our eighty's research and confering with the plater back then on some sample factory originals, we concluded they were anodized...Tell me about how drew to the conclusion they were painted..

Country flag
I think the painted theory comes from some NOS replacements that were painted.
I have an early '58 so I know mine were painted. :wink:

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
58's were painted.. My first car was one of those unique bugs..The windshield design difference (and posts)were a carryover from their big brother in the Sprites first production year...Now, that's my theory anyway..I noticed sometime ago the 58 Big One had simular design concepts...

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
heh I know what your saying.. about getting anal about the original deal..the issue for you is the appearance...back on an earlier post..the main concern in keeping the Alum (soft metal) surround pieces looking new (not scratching the surface when putting on side curtains etc.) is a challenge. The anodizing process not only solved the sealing issue but also provided a hardend surface film that was better at withstanding abrasions..Now that being said, I'm confident that the wonderful new coatings of the 21st century especially in the aviation industry are better than back when at solving this issue..