• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clear Bra

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Has anyone put a clear bra on their Healey?

Clear bra is a generic term for the clear film used on the front of the car's bumper, fender and front of the hood.

Being mine has a nice paint job and she is a daily driver, she is starting to get rock chips. I refuse to use the black cloth style that hides the beautiful look of our cars. Plus when do you take it off? Only when you want to get chips I guess.

If anyone has one installed, what brand and where how high did you go up the front of the car? I'm thinking of filming up to the top of the badge where the bonnet starts.

Cheers, Roger

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Hi Roger,

I had a 3M product called Ultra Shield installed on my '62. I don't have a front bumper on and the car was badly chipped before being repainted. I have it up to the grill on the bonnet. It is also behind the front wheels, about 2 inches up, and behind the rear wheels. It was installed in several pieces and if you are looking for them you can see the edges. I have a black car which might make it more easily seen.

It was installed over 1 year ago and I'm very happy with it.

G

This is something I been thinking about since I went bumperless on my 79 Midget and will be painting it this fall. Even with Dupont Chroma, I expect the front to take a beating. Seems every time you head out on the road around here, theres a dump truck spitting rocks. I seen a partial bra made by Wolfe for rubber bumper cars (a one piece, which means you have to rip te whole thing off just to open the hood)- too bad somebody doesn't make a bra for the early stile Midgets.

AJAX50

Country flag
Like yourself just after I had my BJ8 resprayed, I wanted to keep it pristine. The Mk3 ph2 seems very vulnerable to chips around the sidelights and indicators. I took it to a local company to me called Armourfend. They do supply nationally and maybe internationally. They made a pattern for my car and laser cut a 3M product, not sure of the name. It fits all round the front below headlight level. I watched them do it and it was a pig to maneouver into position. The end result is all but invisible and is very effective. They have my pattern in their computer so could repeat it, but who knows if it will fit another BJ8. I also covered beneath the swage line on the rear panels behind the wheel arch.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
"It was installed in several pieces and if you are looking for them you can see the edges."

Bob--

Does the product conform to compound curves or must it be installed with miters, etc?

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Slightly off-topic but here's Marylyn Monroe in her clear bra...who knew?

0310-arting3.jpg

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi again Roger. I'll try and attach a couple photo's of my car with the Clear Bra.

Attachments

• 5710-ClearbraFront.JPG
    5710-ClearbraFront.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 5711-closeupultrashield_3_2_1.JPG
    5711-closeupultrashield_3_2_1.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 72

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I've seen a lot of hot rodders using this stuff. I haven's heard any negatives about it.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Who did your application and did they have the pattern already or custom make it for your car? I have not seen the Healey listed at the web site I checked for the product.

Thanks

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Actually Lin I had Dale Huntington, (local St. Louis Distributor of "Ultra Shield" install it.) Sad story there, as soon after he completed my car he was killed in Colorado in an auto crash. He was an avid off roader and went off a cliff.

"Ultra shield" is the 3M product we're talking about. He installed it in sections, not one piece. It took a couple of hours to complete, in my garage. He noted he doesn't usually like to work in someone elses garage due to the dust, pet hair etc that can get under the film.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Well, persistence and luck pay off.
Lucky enough to have found the right guy who says he can install the 3m film in one piece!
Persistence trying different ways to stretch the film. We removed and re-applied a new sheet of film till we found the way that worked. 6 times!
Hardest car he has ever done he said. Because of the curves around the headlight. But liked the challenge.

End result is one piece of film. All edges were wrapped. The only edge line that shows is on top. See photo 5 and 6.

1-6 show the process.
1 shows I removed everything for him.
5 shows the line we marked on the film, which he then skored with his blade then removed the excess cut off. The knife blade never touched the paint.
Photo 6 shows the end result. Yes the film is there.
Photo 7 shows how happy my car is with it's new Clear Bra protection!
Cheers, Roger

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
GregW said:
So were the first 5 training bras? Looks nice BTW /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

That was the funniest thing I've read on line in weeks!
Nice brassiere, Roger.

Randy

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Roger,

Nice job with the bra.

What really impresses me is that you seem to be able to

remove and install the grill and it's surround at will !

More power to ya ! You are a better man than me ! I am jealous

of your ability to accomplish this without scratching the

paint !

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bow.gif Ed