• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Classic car hire business

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
So hiring the Jag in the UK got me thinking, what would it take to pull that off here.

So the poll is a SWAG, haven't run the numbers yet in any detail, but have to start somewhere right?

Was thinking that I could prepare route maps of classic drives down PCH, into the mountain roads, and maybe even a back/forth to Palm Spring on the Palms to Pines highway.

So what do you think? Good idea, bad idea, ridiculously bad idea?

I am assuming a TR6 in the poll figures below - good mechanical shape, good but not show interior etc since she'd be working for a living, good paint but not near show quality for the same reason.

(Please forgive misspelling mileage on the poll)

D

DougF

You would have to establish a charge per mile. A customer of my father once rented a car and did the One Lap or something equivalent. Put an outrageous number of miles on a rental in a very short amount of time. Another guy would rent a Hertz Shelby GT350 and take it to the track for the weekend.
Many people would see this as an opportunity to drive a car they may otherwise not be able to, while others would see other possible opportunities.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
While others in the know could easily disconnect the odometer on these cars......

V

vagt6

A friend of mine does this, I'm not sure how much money he earns but he sure has a lot of fun doing it: https://www.sportscarrentals.com/

He's somewhat of an iconical figure in these parts and one really interesting guy. He does this for the pure love of the cars, a real British car enthusiast if there ever was one.

And, these aren't rust buckets, he rents some pretty nice cars, most of them for about $100 a day. Last time I checked, a TR-6; a TR-3; an MGB roadster; an MGBGT; an MGA (nice!); a Nash Metropolitan (really!); a 60-ish Cadillac convertible; a TR-4, maybe others. Again, these are all very nice cars. Plus, if you have a breakdown he'll come rescue you and refund your money. Honest, dependable service.

Such a "business venture" is not feasible or advisable if you're trying to support a family. This guy doesn't need the money and is retired. And, he's one of the most enthusiastic LBC lovers I've ever met.

The upside, you get to go to all the LBC shows and meet everyone in the region who loves these cars.

I go to regional car show with this guy, he's very well-known around these parts.

Not going to comment on the "profitability" of such a venture, however . . . :whistle:

But if you love LBCs and have the time and money, tons o' fun . . . :yesnod:

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks guys. Was planning on keeping the day job (assuming they'll have me) and doing this on the side. 1000 things that can go wrong, but seems like there is a market there.

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
tdskip said:
Thanks guys. Was planning on keeping the day job (assuming they'll have me) and doing this on the side. 1000 things that can go wrong, but seems like there is a market there.

Sounds like fun! How about a couple TR4's/6's. An 8 for variety. Maybe an MGA, MGC, bugeye and oh, I don't know, an old Capri. A Fiat so you have something to work on. All you need to so is ummm.....er....ahhhh.... find the cars!

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
I know of a company already doing this with tons of cars. Everything from a brand new lambo, to a classic beetle. Its a pretty cool idea. Imagine renting one to impress people at a reunion or date.

In fact theres a show called Classic Car Club, that did a bit on a company in the UK, where you charge a membership fee. Pretty much as a member, you get to drive any car in their garage. The idea behind it is that you, the member, have a garage filled with all these classic, like theyre your own private collection. Sort of like a time share for a garage and everything in it.