• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Clamp plate on Rear Fender TR3A

mcguijo

Jedi Hopeful
Did every TR3A have a clamp plate (Roadster Factory Part # 602167) on their rear fenders? The clamp plate is defined with a "captive nut, fixing top of rear fender at rear."

I really don't remember pulling any off when I took off rear fenders (and I'm pretty comfortable that I was the first to take off these fenders..

Would an elongated captive nut cage have been used in its stead?

If every car should have had them, how where they rigged up?

Thanks

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I believe they all had them originally. Much stouter than an ordinary captive nut cage, but otherwise I guess you could apply that description.

The plate goes in the very top edge of the fender, with the rearmost bolt through the nut on the front of the plate, and the rear of the plate clamping the top rear corner of the fender to the body just above the tail light pocket.

The attached photo isn't the best, but perhaps you can make it out.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Mine were rusted away when I dismantled my 1958 TR3A for restoration in 1987. So I just did that last screw like all the others. I finished the restoration of another in 2006 and used new items referenced above.

Randall - How did you get under there to take such a fabulous photo, considering the confining space, your physique and the poor lighting ?

OP
mcguijo

mcguijo

Jedi Hopeful
Great picture! Thank you for going through all the trouble.

Is this clamp tacked on (spot welded)? The other alternative of holding in place while bolting on sounds like it would take really long arms to pull off.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
It's not welded to anything. Maybe you need a willing friend to hold it in place while you tighten the screw. The "L" end is intended to close any gap near the red lans tail light and its chrome base by the short end applying pressure to the flange on the top end of the fender when the last truss head screw is tightened to the captive nut. Once the screw is really tight the long part of the "L" acts as a bow or a flat arch to apply the pressure at the short "L" end to close the gap. But this is covered by the stainless steel trim beading strip and no one would see any gap anyway.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don Elliott said:
Randall - How did you get under there to take such a fabulous photo, considering the confining space, your physique and the poor lighting ?
Waddya mean, my physique !?! Just cuz I weigh twice what you do ...
grin.gif

(Actually, I have managed to lose just a little weight since you met me, Don.)

But the credit really goes to my digital camera, which works amazingly well in such awkward situations. Especially if I remember to turn on "Macro" mode, which allows it to auto-focus to only a few inches. The car is in the garage with the rear up on jack stands (working on the rear brakes), so I just crawled under and started shooting. Couldn't really see what I was shooting, so took shots from several angles and picked the best one. Then cropped and scaled it, and added the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, explaining what each one was to be used as evidence ...

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
mcguijo said:
The other alternative of holding in place while bolting on sounds like it would take really long arms to pull off.
Not as bad as you might think. Remember, the fender is only about 13" high at that point. Just squatting by the car on jack stands, I had no trouble putting one hand on the clamp from underneath and the other on the screw head inside the drip rail.

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thought someone coming later may appreciate this picture. Took me a while to figure it out...

8793216620_2dd8582206_b.jpg

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The photo is looking up into the inside of the rear fender from beneath the car. The bolt is the last slotted truss head machine screw that goes into the plate from inside the trunk railing. Maybe this helps? You can just see the tip of the bolt end.

91785a542-b01-p2l.png

8794836148_318252e320_b.jpg

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I cant see Randalls photo but Lukes are great! Thanks.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Dang I love the way the cage nuts are reflecting on your trunk side panel,Hope you did NOT actually
polish this hidden bit too long.
MD(mad dog)

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I can only hope the outside of my fender looks as good as his inside. I don't see Randalls picture/attachment either. -Maybe it's just another typical case of American blind justice, and we're not going to look at the 27 8x10 color glossy photographs with the pictures and arrows and a paragraph on the back...

RC64

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Bruce...

Seeing your post tonight along with that photo of the fender bracket brought an answer to a long standing question for me. I have two of those in the misc parts box from the guy who originally disassembled my car and I have never been able to figure out where they were supposed to go. Now I know.

I also need to thank you again for the photos you sent me and the ones you've posted. They have been a tremendous help. Lately they have been the first place I go when I have a question about how something goes together. Since I've taken over the restoration now that the painting is complete I seem to be rustling around in those photos almost daily.

Rick...

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry bout the disappearing photos. I had uploaded them directly to the old BCF, and the new forum-ware wouldn't let me upload anything new until I deleted some old uploads.

Besides, Luke's photos are MUCH better than mine!

CLAMPEXPLAINED.jpg

Glad to hear Arlo's still out and about. I got to hear him a couple years ago at UCLA and it was by far the most enjoyable concert I've been to in a long time. Been hoping he'll come back again.