• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cheaper Hardtops

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've been talking with a fiberglass Cobra replica body maker about producing factory style Healey hardtops here in the states in order to bring the cost of importing one from the UK down. I don't know if this is a realistic project and would appreciate any input on how many people would be interested, what model and what you'd be willing to pay for a quality reproduction? Of course I'll be interested in any other opinions about this possible project.

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
Should I assume by your location Factory 5? Good people and good product. I bought a kit from them a few years ago.
I would be interested in one for a 1960 BN7 2 seater. I would be willing to pay $3000 for it complete. It would be nice if they could coordinate the delivery with maybe one of there kits being delivered in the area. This would simplify packaging.
John

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i have quotes from nical and farmer and the cost of a factory reproduction with the aluminum trim is basically 4000-4400 pounds. at a current 1.57 us dollar=1 pound, then the top is 6000 us dollars plus unpainted and undelivered. so it seems that the cost of the factory reproduction is 7000 plus us dollars for a two seater top and about the same for a four seater top. they do have a less desirable all fiberglass top for much less. of course the top with the factory style aluminum trim is much more appealing to me.
the cheaper all- fiberglass top is approximately 1700 pounds which makes it about 2600 us dollars...yet to be painted and undelivered. so i would think in the area of 3500 dollars. it would be nice if there was a us supplier located on the east coast for my purposes. im not sure what i would be willing to pay, but i just bid 3750 on ebay for a very nice bn6 factory hardtop that required repainting and a new rear window. it sold for 3800 and someone got a bargain especially if they were looking for a red hardtop. if i had received the quotes sooner i probably would had bid at least 4500 dollars. back window and repaint would have added at least a grand to that....so i would be into approximately 5500 dollars for a good used factory two seater top!!

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
John,

It's not Factory Five. They are busy cranking out their own products and I don't think a small run like this would be worth their while. The guy I'm talking to is Bruce Chervenak in Pittsburgh. He does niche Cobra bodies like the FIA cars and Cobra hardtops.

I'm still in.
John

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
i have quotes from nical and farmer and the cost of a factory reproduction with the aluminum trim is basically 4000-4400 pounds. at a current 1.57 us dollar=1 pound, then the top is 6000 us dollars plus unpainted and undelivered. so it seems that the cost of the factory reproduction is 7000 plus us dollars for a two seater top and about the same for a four seater top. they do have a less desirable all fiberglass top for much less. of course the top with the factory style aluminum trim is much more appealing to me.
the cheaper all- fiberglass top is approximately 1700 pounds which makes it about 2600 us dollars...yet to be painted and undelivered. so i would think in the area of 3500 dollars. it would be nice if there was a us supplier located on the east coast for my purposes. im not sure what i would be willing to pay, but i just bid 3750 on ebay for a very nice bn6 factory hardtop that required repainting and a new rear window. it sold for 3800 and someone got a bargain especially if they were looking for a red hardtop. if i had received the quotes sooner i probably would had bid at least 4500 dollars. back window and repaint would have added at least a grand to that....so i would be into approximately 5500 dollars for a good used factory two seater top!!

I was the one who asked about shipping. I would of entered the fray if I could figure a way to get it back. As noted in his reply, he wasn't shipping, and I certainly wasn't driving that far.
John

GregoryW

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have a 1960 bn7, and would be interested in a hardtop, but only if it is a near-perfect copy of an original. I'd be following my heart, not my head, to write a check this big, for something I could easily live without.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

I knew I was onto something when I bought that basket case 62 BT7 Tri-Carb with original factory hardtop . I got the whole car with the top for about 4Gs US ......
Oh and sorry its NOT for sale :cool:;):D:joyous:

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
yes i would say that was quite the bargain....

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
People purchasing Hardtops for Healeys with rollup windows should be aware that the Top will have to be fitted to the car. My Nical hardtop is an example and I'm sure that the other Tops will need the same work to make them fit.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
People purchasing Hardtops for Healeys with rollup windows should be aware that the Top will have to be fitted to the car. My Nical hardtop is an example and I'm sure that the other Tops will need the same work to make them fit.
The same applies to those without rollup windows.