• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Carburetors Overflow

Redgazelle1

Freshman Member
A few weeks ago I replaced the original carburetors on my BJ7 with new ones from Moss Motors; however, since then I have experienced problems of petrol consistently pouring out of the overflow. Any suggestions with solving this problem?

Thanks.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
It seems funny that this should coencide with new carbs. My experience is that this is a "dirty fuel" problem causing the floats to stick open. Check the bottom of the new float bowls and see if there isn't some "crud" down there. Crud can come from fuel lines disintegrating, fuel tanks rusting, fuel lines decaying and outside contaminants, like the grand son placing a handful of dirt under the shiny thing on grandpaws car....

It could also be that the new carbs have defective needle valves or floats, but it seems unlikley that both carbs would be bad.

AndrewMawson

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
A few weeks ago I replaced the original carburetors on my BJ7 with new ones from Moss Motors; however, since then I have experienced problems of petrol consistently pouring out of the overflow. Any suggestions with solving this problem?

Thanks.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Check that the fibre washer 'sealing' the overflow banjo to the top of the float chamber is not a plain one but the one with three cutouts. If the wrong washer is put in, as things warm up the pressure builds up from evaporating fuel and the only way out is by blowing fuel through the overflow. If the correct washer is fitted then pressure is releved by vapour escaping.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Don't know if this is your problem but...I had a similar overflow problem with one of my carbs and it turned out the brass float inside the carb bowl was not floating due to a leak (the air leaked out and it filled up with gasoline). I replaced the float and the problem was solved. Leaky floats can be fixed (with solder) but I didn't go this route.

miranda

a little while ago we had this overflow problem, and it was the carb needle sticking(probably dirty fuel. Didn't take too long to fix

sjoerd