• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Car will not re-start after a drive - Help.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I took the GT out for a drive just now. She started right up & I went to the gas station for 4 Gallons. )Reason is I just put a sending unit in it finally and I wanted to see how it registers) Any I drive over to visit the Mrs. at work adn it is 8 miles away 90% highway speed.

I park drop off her wallet & get back in no more than 8 minutes later. It will not start. I hear the pump ticking away but it never stops ticking. As I turn it over you can hear little tiny pops like she is trying to start but it won't. I get out and look at the glass inline filter - No gas. I turn it back on & hear the pump so I wiggle the fuel line a bit and it starts to fill the filter. I tap around the bowls a bit thinking I have a stuck float or something. Pumps stops ticking so I get back in and try and start it. It starts hard and I have to quickly give it gas to get it running. Pop it in gear and I am headed for home. I make it home but I'm puzzled.

Temp hear is 75º, sunny & almost no humidity. This has never happened before.

What gives?

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I re-named the post to see if it will help.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, you've narrowed it down to fuel delivery - have you checked those floats? What about the diaphragm in the fuel pump itself?

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Hmmm did not think of the pup but...

Problem would be Diaphram ripped which causes Fuel delivery problems but why does it start right up cold?

Floats - would they be stuck and why only warm? To solve it, do I need new floats, needles & seats?

Steve_S

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] I turn it back on & hear the pump so I wiggle the fuel line a bit and it starts to fill the filter.[/QUOTE]
Which fuel line? If it's the fuel line before the pump then the line has a leak.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I tap around the bowls a bit thinking I have a stuck float or something. Pumps stops ticking so I get back in and try and start it. It starts...[/QUOTE]
Stuck float. Remove the offending float and check it for smooth travel. Make sure there is no friction in any part of its travel. Old gasoline may have varnished on the pivot shaft, causing it to stick before fully open. Still, the car will likely run (very poorly) even on one carb, so that may not be the only problem.

The lack of fuel in the filter leads me to believe it's a delivery problem but tapping on the bowl suggests the float. You may have multiple issues here. My suggestion would be to replace all rubber hoses in the fuel system along with the filter. make sure the filter is AFTER the fuel pump, not before.

If that doesn't solve the problem, move on to float valves and a general cleaning of the carbs. It wouldn't hurt to check the screen in the fuel pump either although that's a bit more involved than the other possible solutions.

zahnej

Did you use Hylomar gasket sealer on the sending unit? I have seen in other posts from a pretty smart guy that Hylomar can plug up a fuel system. Not sure how much it takes to mess things up.

Not familiar with that "B" but early MG's also have a mesh filter at the gas tank where the line goes in.

Steve_S

Yoda
Hylomar is fine unless you get a bunch of extra oozing into the tank. If a glob breaks loose, it can clog things. The tank itself has a strainer so it's doubtful there is enough extra sealer to block it.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Filter is under the hood right before the carbs, glass type with servicable filter insert so it is visable and I just cleaned it out.

Sending unit - Only used rubber gasket and is not leaking presently.

Mesh screen in tank at bottom of pick up tube - Removed as a result of having the tank boiled & etched. Looked like it was in a bad place anyway (do I dare say bad engineering?)

Hoses under hood are all new. Hoses by fuel pump are not.

Varnish - I extensively cleaned every part of the carb when I got the car. How quickly can varnishing start to happen?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think the prob is between the fuel filter and the tank, ie the fuel pump.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
A leak in one of the lines connecting to the float bowls, should not cause this right? I don't think so. I checked this morning and there was some gas around the inlet. I had to readjust the clamp and all is well. She started with a touch of the key. I let it waarm up a few minutes and then it was still a little hard in starting. I can't see why it would be the pump if, when I am under the hood I can wiggle stuff to ge the fuel filter to fill with gass. It's almost as if there is air trapped in the line's under the hood and when I jiggle it around a bit it purges the air. This sounds silly right?

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
OK still weird. Starts without the choke and runs like a champ. As soon as it gets up to temp & I turn it off It won't start. Acttually right bec=fore I get home it starts acting really strange and sputters like it wants to stall. If I let it sit there without givng it gas, I'm sure it would stall.
Why would the fuel pump be suspect if there is no heat by the pump & it only acts up when the engine bay is hot?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Is it possible that its vapor locking when it gets hot? How's your carb heat shield? & the gas line heat shield along the edge of the firewall between the engine & gas line?

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
came in late on this one but couldn't it be as simple as just needing a pressure regulator put in the fuel line in front of bowl? my Spridget is worthless without one..

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Heat shield is new but there is not any heat shield for the gas line. Never was. I've heard much about it but not paid attention for some reason. What exaclty is vapor lock?

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
BTW here is what the routing of the gas lines looks like.
9-2-07-Gaslines002.jpg

9-2-07-Gaslines003.jpg

Steve_S

Yoda
Fuel boiling in the carbs, lines or in your case fuel pump. It's possible but it would have to be pretty hot in there. Is it that hot in NY right now? You can rule it out next time by propping the bonnet open when you park the car to let the heat out of the engine bay. If it starts up, then there's your problem.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
It is 68º out right now & I always prop the bonnet open when I come home to do exactly that - cool it off. I've driven it on much hotter days so hot I was sweating bullets and my left foot was burning.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Ok. It's been about a half hour. Temp guage read 140º. Turn key on & pump runs & runs. Check filter & not filled with gas. Grav a screw driver & tap float bowls. Filter does not fill & pump is still running. Try and start it and it fires right up instantly and the filter is filled with gas.

Would'nt the pump stop ticking if the syetem was filled with pressure of any sort gas or air? What I guess I don't know is why the system does not hold pressure when not in use unless there were leaks Which I know there are none of under the hood.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
just humor me somebody.. really not just a need for a pressure regulator?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I think there may be a leak at the inlet side of the pump allowing it to draw air instead of gas. Look to the clamps/connections from the pickup to the pump, Vince. Tho moving the lines around at the filter shouldn't make any difference if that's the case... weird.