• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Car History

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
The other day someone here a BCF was asking how to find out their car's past history. Several people here gave good advice on trying to track it down, along with warnings that the 'trail' would probably go cold at some point.

I did the same with my TR4A, with only sketchy information on the original owner. Just by coincidence I received the following email from Fletch Veitch and just had to pass it along:

I know your SAH tuned TR4A - In fact I drove it the day I was married. The car belonged to my uncle, E. Crawford Morton and he purchased it new in England tuned by SAH. The car was not raced in England. Crawford never raced it, but he was a very fast and skilled driver who used all of the cars capabilities on those lovely New York Adirondack roads. He was a fanatic about car care, so if it was damaged or not maintained it was by someone other than him. When I say fanatic, I mean just that - you had to see it to believe it. My TR3 which I got from him when it was 7 years of age looked and drove like a new car. It was a real screamer, I had a stock TR4A-IRS and his ran circles around it. The SAH was what the TR4A should have been - My 3 ran circles around my TR4A-IRS untill I ripped out the polution control crap and rejetted the carbs properly. Milage went back up to 27-28 MPG from about 23. Performance greatly enhanced. He always loved performance cars and the Triumph string began with a Peerless GT, TR-3, Herald (side car) TR4A (SAH) and then a string of Mercedes. He worked for International Paper Co in Ticonderoga NY. He followed racing avidly, used to go to Europe to watch the GPs, and on one of these trips he picked the TR up, having ordered it prior to leaving. Original color was BRG, and it had Laycock OD. I do have some original photos of the vehicle, both exterior and under the hood. If you finish the beast and wish to sell it to someone who will care for it as it deserves, please let me know before putting it on the market.

Additionally if you know the whereabouts of a TR3-A S/N TS53537-LO or know how to see if it still exists, I would love to know where it is. That was my first TR, also owned by Crawford. I did autocross that one, and it was a world beater! The fastest damned TR I ever drove, and I have had 5.

Crawford also had Peerless GT (TR engined) and Herald 1200 (POS). His daughter Christine Morton Smith also had a Spitfire. A real TR family! <font color="blue"> </font>

I know mine from the first owner to me. But then, my car has never left Tuscaloosa, AL. And all of (all 3) the previous owners lived next door to each other, and still do. I've met all of them and heard their stories. Good people.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Those are great stories - I've got a couple of cars with history like that.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I Purchased my 52 TD from practically the originaly owner. They purchased her in 1956 and used her on & off till 1990. The owner kept meticulous records of where & how many miles he drove.
I've searched for the first owner but cannot locate. They bought it from a dealer. I have posted q's on the web and met many people in doing so.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I don't have any real history on the TR3 that I'm now restoring, but when I bought the car, the original owner's manual was in the glove box. On the back page is the name of the dealer that originally sold the car. The dealer is here on Long Island (in Riverhead) and still in business. Maybe when I'm done with the resto, I'll drive up there and ask to get my free 1,000 mile service. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
My wife bought our TR6 brand new when she was a junior in college. We've had it ever since and probably will until the day we both check out of the big parade for good.

R6MGS

Yoda
My B's came from oringal owners...61 A was owned by a movie producer in France who brought it here in the 70's....It was then traded on a Jag XK120 and went to an exotic car dealer here in Toronto(still in business, recently had my old E-type on the showroom floor) the dealer had some legal work done by a lawyer and instead of cash the lawyer accepted the car as payment. He(the lawyer) drove it until it died(letting it be stolen twice during that time) then parked it. After about 5 years of sitting I came along and rescued it....I did call the movie producer and spoke with him about the car-nice fellow.
I have owned my 58 A since 1968(I was 14 then) but I don't know it's history before that.
I bought my TC from the second owner(bought in 56) Ontario car it's entire life....Very interesting story as to how I found it....But I owe some guy in the Bahama's a beer!(if I ever find a way to contact him again)

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Bought my '62 out of an apartment house parking lot in '65 from the original owner. He'd bought it for his wife, and evidently the heavy clutch and steering weren't her idea of a fun car. It had been sitting for over a year, I jump started it and drove it home. My question with the SP250's has always been when the car(s) was originally built. I have not been able to find a regester on any of the jag heritage sites.