• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

car capsule reviews

walshja

Jedi Warrior
I just bought a Car Capsule off eBay

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320483775743

My friend uses it and swears buy it, so I decided to give it a shot.

My car is garaged all year round, but in the summer months during the morning hours my car gets condensation all over it because overnight it cools off substantially, then with the hot humid air in the morning/afternoon hours condensation forms all over the car. So I'm hoping this solves my problem.

I'm also hoping this protects my car from my kids who play in the garage. I made it almost 2 years without a kid accident, but I feel I'm due.

Anyone else use a Car Capsule before?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
If your garage is having condensation issues as it is, having your car inside of a giant plastic bag I would think would cause other issues with trapping moisture. I have a similiar issue with my garage which is under the house and surrounded by a hill on back and side wall. I have high humidity issues especially in Spring and Fall as ground temps are very different from ambient air temps. Had issues with mold and mildew on Bugsy's seats. Solution has been fans and dehumidifier as well as an ozone generator in the form of a "electronic air freshener" The ozone generator kills mold and mildew.

I'm just a little concerned with trapping high humidity levels inside the Car Capsule and if Guilford is anywhere near the coast, trapping high salt laden air inside the capsule thus promoting rust acceleration. I'll leave this one to the engineers to puzzle over.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
:iagree:

By no means an engineer, but in my "former" life I sold commercial/industrial ventilation equipment. One of the first lessons I learned was that constant movement of air is one of the best & cheapest ways of keeping the formation of condensation at a minimum and combatting humidity issues.

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
I had the same exact thoughts when I was told about the car capsule.

But according to the manufacturer, what the car capsule does is ensure the car remains at the same temperature as the surrounding air, and therefore preventing condensation from developing.

I'm having a tough time myself picturing how it works, and if it does in fact trap moisture it will only be used in the winter to protect the car from being dinged.

And while Guilford is on the shoreline, I'm many miles from the shore, unfortunately !!!

from the website
https://www.carcapsule.com/
"At the heart of the CarCapsule and BikeCapsule is a 12-volt, high-pressure fan. It provides continuous airflow to keep your vehicle or motorcycle dry. Temperature inside the bubble remains constant and consistent with outside air. The evaporative storage system keeps your vehicle or motorcycle dry because the air changes inside the bubble 3 or 4 times every hour. This prevents any moisture from condensing on your vehicle or motorcycle.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
walshja said:
from the website
https://www.carcapsule.com/
"At the heart of the CarCapsule and BikeCapsule is a 12-volt, high-pressure fan. It provides continuous airflow to keep your vehicle or motorcycle dry. Temperature inside the bubble remains constant and consistent with outside air. The evaporative storage system keeps your vehicle or motorcycle dry because the air changes inside the bubble 3 or 4 times every hour. This prevents any moisture from condensing on your vehicle or motorcycle.

BINGO!!

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
what I can't understand is, if overnight my car cools down, and in the morning when the warm humid air comes in, won't the car capsule pump in the warm humid air, and allow for condensation to buildup on the cold car? creating the same problem I currently have?

Or is it the car capsule, by limiting the amount of warm humid air that can come into contact with the car, gives the car temperature time to warm up, and therefore preventing condensation?

let me get a cup of coffee, and try and understand this again later !! lol

V

vagt6

I have a nice attached garage but it is not heated or cooled by A/C. However, the temperature doesn't get below about 50 degrees F in the winter. Humidity can get relatively high, though.

So, I purchased a $150 Sears dehumidifier that switches on when the humidity reaches aroughly 45%. My garage is about 28X24X9 and the Sears dehumidifier does an excellent job of keeping the humidity down below 50%. There are a ton of dehumidifers that can do the job, if you get one be sure that it has an external line hookup for the water to drain outside.

The magic humidity number for car storage seems to be below 50%. I researched web sites that sell storage spaces for classic cars and they mostly state that their humidity levels are below 50%. That's also generally where mold begins to form and propogate. I keep my dehumidifer set on about 45% to be safe.

The caveat is that your garage or storage area needs to be somewhat weather tight -- if moisture gets in regularly, the dehumidifier may not have the desired effect.

Humidity is the enemy with long-term LBC storage. :yesnod:

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
my garage is far from weather proof, or I would go the dehumidifier route. otherwise the dehumidifier would be running non-stop during the summer months, like it is in my basement.

hmm, kids in the bubble instead, I like that idea !!!
bubble_boy.jpg

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I was talking to some friends of ours that live on the coast (ocean front) about car rust issues. He told me that the cars rust even if they are garaged due to condensation. He and his neighbors have found that if they have gas fired instant water heaters in the garage that the condensation problem and the rust issues seem to be much less. The thought is due to the air flow for the burner.

Just a thought.

Growing up my friend’s dad had a brand new AMC Javelin. If the car was in the driveway, you and your bike weren't. That was the rule and nobody broke it.

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
got the car capsule !!

14 feet allows me to put the Midget, and hopefully my motorcycle in as well, plenty of room

setup was simple, and when inflated, nothing will get at the car, I believe as the manufacturer claims you can drop a 5lb sledge hammer on it and it will bounce off.

the true test will be in the spring, when the humidity returns.

so far I rate the Car Capsule an A+

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Excellent.

So where are the pictures? :devilgrin:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nothing wrong with taking care of your car. Neat, really.

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
it's actually a lot bigger than I thought it would be. And it will definitely protect the car from my kids. They could probably run full speed into the bubble, and never hit the car, just bounce off.

the real test will be during the driving months, will I want to spend the couple minutes each day putting the car in and out of the bubble.

DWeeB

Jedi Trainee
walshja said:
I'm almost embarrassed to post them, the other Midgets will make fun her.

MGbubble.jpg

That's frigg'n awesome!!!