• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cape international heater to replace Smith's Box

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
It has been suggested that I begin a new thread for the discussion of the installation of a replacement heater unit for our ubiquitous Smiths Heater. I actually completely rebuilt my Smiths Heater for reinstallation into my 60 BT7. However, I came across an advertisement for the contemporary heater assembly being sold by Cape International. Several features appealed to me. First, the assembly has a built in two speed fan, making the Smiths blower redundant for heating purposes and thereby allowing it to be used as a blower for fresh air into the passenger seating area (RH side of car). Second, the unit is set up to use the original slide heater control already in the car. Third, the assembly is compact and actually less obtrusive than the original Smiths unit. Fourth, the original demister hoses and heater water hoses are used.

As Cape sells the assembly, it comes with an aluminum plate screwed to the heater that matches up with the opening in the air box (channel) that our cars use for distribution of air into the interior. Installation is quite easy and straightforward.

I have a Smitty conversion Toyota 5 speed gearbox in my car, therefore, the dash fascia overdrive switch was available to be used as the heater fan speed control switch. I simply installed a new switch mechanism allowing the center position to be "off," top position - "high speed," and lower throw - "low speed."

I enclosed the wiring for power and fan speed in a piece of black heat shrink tubing that resulted in the wiring being virtually invisible against the black backdrop.

On the subject of fresh air for the passenger, I flipped an air control valve upside down and installed it on the front right side of the car, with a cable to the heater control panel on the dash, to control air into the passenger compartment. The Smiths blower is then used to augment fresh air flow. The little "pull" switch on the heater control panel is now used to control whether the Smiths blower is "on" or "off."

I converted to the Cape Heater a couple of years ago. I am very satisfied with the product and would recommend it to others. I am not aware that any of the other commonly used vendors sell such a product, but please correct me if I am mistaken.

I don't know how the Cape Heater would work in a later BJ8, but my first thought is that with the BJ8 dash and console the heater unit would be completely hidden to the observer.
Here are a few images of the installation:

Attachments

• 14849.jpg
    14849.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 451
  • 14850.jpg
    14850.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 443
  • 14851.jpg
    14851.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 440
  • 14852.jpg
    14852.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 441
  • 14853.jpg
    14853.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 434

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hello Lin,

Yup, I'm the guy who suggested that Lin post about this topic.
I'm sure everyone will agree, what a great job!
Not only on his detailed description of how it all works, but where to purchase it and the beautiful installation photos.

Lin, you certainly think things out.
Great Dynamat coverage.
Shrink wrapping the bullet connectors.
Modern fuses.

Yes, we Healey guys don't miss a thing when we're poking our heads around our friends cars. Dude, I did find two faults though. I'm sure you want to know about them, before someone else brings them to your attention.

1. I noticed some dust under the dash.
2. A couple of the screws, well their slots don't line up in the same direction, 12 o'clock, as do all of the others. You must have missed those two.

Nice post Lin!

Country flag
What does the water control valve look like?

Nice job!

Ausm, you missed his brake/clutch pedals :wink:

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Randy, here are a few shots of the water control valve. I didn't mount it any place as it is plastic and very light. I just tried to get it to line up with the control panel on the dash fascia.
Sorry, but the only shots I have of the valve are from when I was fitting everything in the primer mode. No pretty red stuff!

Darn, I will check those screw heads.

Lin

Attachments

• 14855.jpg
    14855.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 395
  • 14856.jpg
    14856.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 406
  • 14857.jpg
    14857.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 406
Country flag
Yes, thanks. I could just make it out in the first pictures, but wanted to see more of it. It does indeed look compact.

So, how's it work?

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Well, I have not done much winter driving yet, but it seems to work fine. Strong fan, good distribution of heat. As I said, I also like the addition of the fresh air into the passenger side - that is just a bonus.

Lin

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Re: Cape international heater to replace Smith's B

My primary interest in a mod like this is to actually feel air coming through the windshield vents. If you are saying it actually defogs your windshield on a wet cool drive, I'm interested.

Am I the only one who can hear the heater kick up when the knob is pulled out but cannot discern any air flow with my hand?

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
Re: Cape international heater to replace Smith's B

For a good defrost, I always close the foot vents.