• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cant remove crank sproket???????

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
I have already tried puller with lots or pressure----used a little heat around sproket, dont want to beat on the end of the puller too much-- as the crank is already installed. Now W H A T???? the bushing, slinger and gear are all together and none of them are coming loose, Help

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Allan, try going the other way slightly, just to brake it loose. You can use a large socket, if you have one that big or a pipe, just so you can get a all around pressure on it, don't bang it too hard. Wayne

OP
A

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Thanks----that worked

It worked---only had about .010" to drive it back but it worked. It hung up 3 more times as it came forward so I had to drive it back each time to get it loose, then it was 1/8" at a time as it would pop and then I would have to get another bite with the puller, It took about 1 1/2 hr. and I had to talk to it alot!!! There is a groove on the bushing that the seal rides on--is that a machined groove or worn from the seal??

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Thanks----that worked

Thats worn in from the seal. If not fixed it will leak. Either replace the pully (like that's an option) or look into a "speedy sleeve". That is a thin ring of metal that fits snugly over the old surface, making a new one. If Moss dosen't offer it, you should be able to size one up at the local parts store.

OP
A

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Re: Thanks

The groove is on a seperate bushing (collar) that the seal rides on, the pulley slides up against it. Mabey I can reverse the collar?, or get a new one from Roadster Factory, Thanks

piman

Darth Vader

Hello Allan,
if the groove is not central then, as you say, just reverse it. Otherwise replace the seal but do not drive it fully home in the chain cover. If you can get the seal running on an unworn part of the sleeve it should be OK. Oil the sleeve when you fit the chain cover, loosely fit all the screws\nuts etc, turn the engine a few times then tighten the cover down.

Good luck,

Alec

G

Allan, not sure that the oil seal sleeve is reverseable in that the back-side bevel is designed to engage for future removal. New ones are available and relatively inexpensive. Surely put a new spring-loaded seal for the chain cover in, this is cheap insurance. Aren't SpeediSleaves designed to go over shafts - how would they fit over a keyed shaft? You are right that TRF has all this new. Just replaced them all. There is a firm out there were you live that will rebuild your pulley, about $90 if interested call Dave at TRF.

Bill

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

If the oil seal ring is available seprate, then that's the way to go.
The speedy sleeve, if you had to do that, would fit around the seal surface of the ring, not the keyed shaft.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Allan, it would really help a novice like me if we could see some pictures of what you were doing and went through. Just a thought--in case.

OP
A

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Sorry dont have any pictures, but if you look at pictures in a repair manual that would give you the idea. When you get to a picture that shows the timing cover off and a view of the timing gear--just picture trying to remove the small crank gear with a gear puller, if its stuck on then you will have to go through what I did (above). I ended up ordering the new spacer that the oil seal rides on.

TRED

Jedi Hopeful
Glad you got the things apart. Just a FYI, but I have had trouble with things being stuck and had the puller cranked down very tight. What seems to work well is a sharp blow to the stuck part with a hammer, just be carefull, the puller can really jump when things come loose.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
worn grove in bushing? i've had a local shop repair this type of problem in my other vehicles (worn axle at seal)by having the surface built up again by spray welding and then ground down. this can give a harder, better surface and you don't have to mess with those sleeves. a much more permanent fix. any shaft worn at the seal can be repaired this way.
rob

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
A little side information;
Speedy Sleeve is a product made by Chicago Rawhide. If you ever need a seal for a shaft you may want to contact them. In a previous life I used their wiping seals on a manual leveling system on an optical tracking platform for NASA.
It appears that CR is now part of SKF. You can see their Speedy Sleeve info here;
https://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/speedi_sleeves.htm

OP
A

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
I bought the new sleeve--bushing--spacer (which ever it is called) from the roadster factory for $18 and it didnt even have to be backordered!! I think this is better than having to find a speedy sleeve or having it welded. Thanks for all the input, Allan