• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cant get the engine to go the last 2"

D

Deleted member 3577

Clutch disk on backwards?

Are you sure that it is aligned (Did you use a tool or old input shaft?)

BTW 2" is a lot...Like the nose isn't even going in???

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. Input shaft ain't in the "spigot" bearing yet. Likely the clutch disk is not quite centered... patience and a good eye are the only cure. Force will just get ya in trouble /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif
Time to take it easy. You could do real damage here.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

OP

647F

should i be jacking the engine from underneath? should i move the lifting point to the back of the engine (which i did)...

OP

647F

auauauauauaughghghghgh!!!!!

i just deleted my last post!

so here it goes again!

I pulled the engine out, checked the clutch alignment (with the tool, it slipped in and out very easily)

Rehung the engine, and started over.

Now i have everything within an inch of going home. The ring gear is just inside the bellhousing and is evenly spaced all the way around...

nothing, it will not budge!

OP

647F

oh, i also used a light oil to coat the tranny input shaft and the inside of the clutch, just to make it slide easier, as i didn't want to you use grease.

someone call me...707.310.2138

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not a thing! In the 'trade lingo' "...you just ain't got your tongue in the right place yet!"

"Wiggle" the box or engine about while keeping rearward pressure on it. If you're 1" away you're at the bearing/flywheel with the input shaft tip.

Question: Did you back off the clutch cover bolts and really re-align the disk? The tip of the tool in the crank bearing and a careful check to be sure the tool is in the exact center of the T/O bearing face of the cover? Just "thinking out loud" here.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Might I make a suggestion: pull the engine again...pull the transmission...mate them on the floor of the garage & then put that assembly in the car...you're gonna be playing with that alignment for days & then you've gotta reach all the bolts on the bell housing...quicker & easier to do everything on the floor.

I agree with Tony. I tried to install an engine with the tranny "insitu" one time. What a pain in the arse!

In my opinion, it's a WHOLE lot easier to mate the two on the garage floor, then install as a unit.

ps...try doing this with an MGC block sometime!

Best wishes...walk away and come back refreshed and non-frustrated....your day will go a LOT smoother.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Tony, I got him to ~promise~ he'll do it *right* the next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now waiting for the "AH-HA!" post here. Almost suggested he pull the box, but I'm sure he's millimeters from having the input shaft snoot just "fall" into place. We'll see.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If that's the case, then I would suggest repositioning the car...lower the back of the car...remember, you're transmission is solidly attached to the car & your engine is 'floating'...there's almost no way to stab the engine with the car level....or, you can raise the rear of the car - it doesn't matter

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
He's got the gearbox well and truly "up" as far as it will go, the engine swinging from a forklift. He ~should~ be able to "juke" it around enuff to find the spigot bearing center, has the bellhousing half way over the ring gear already with even distance all the way 'round. Close... very close. Doing this with the box in the car is so frustrating I swore years ago it was worth every second it took to pull the engine/box unit intact. With the CB cars, I got so proficient I could have the thing sitting in front of the car in under an hour. Kinda sad as a "claim to fame" but there ya go. Reinstall took a bit longer but not much.

OP

647F

i just cant believe i couldnt get it in, but doing this lone is not the most pleasant job. i am going to yank the tranny and set it up on th floor
i just hope the tranny bushings are in good shape.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Now I'm not sure if I should cry or rejoice. Doing this alone is a real bear, but pulling the box out and doing the job on the deck IS the better plan. Bad bit is: it'll pro'lly FALL into the engine on first go this way: Something to do with Edsel Murphy and an unwritten corollary, I'm sure. Keep us up on the 'haps'?

...and take your time, be safe... alone you've gotta scream REALLY loud for anyone to hear ya if you get "trapped" somehow.

"This is NOT a drill." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Long, deep breaths....take a break....have a beverage....walk away from it....don't get discouraged.

Chances are, it will line up first try on the garage floor!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Oh, you're going to find that the transmission bushings are shot - just accept it & get new ones....I hope your car is high enough that you can drop the transmission straight down & pull it out.....if not, start jacking

OP

647F

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, you're going to find that the transmission bushings are shot - just accept it & get new ones....I hope your car is high enough that you can drop the transmission straight down & pull it out.....if not, start jacking

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, tranny is out...the bushings kinda parted on the way.

now, can i install the whole engine/ tranny set up back under the car with out the tranny bushings, and install them later?

(i have to move the car from its current location)