• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Can I switch from a side to top distributor cap?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
This is for my 1098 Bugeye. I believe she has a 25d Distributor, and currently has a side entry cap.

Reason for the switch is that Moss doesn't carry a spark plug wire kit for the side entry.

Could I "roll" my own?

Bugeye58

Yoda
Tom, Moss lists a top entry cap for the 25D, P/N 163-815.
If you want to keep the side entry cap, just get a generic 7mm wire set, and cut off the ends that would normally load into the top, and install in the old cap. An 8mm wire is too big to fit into the holes in the cap. I run 8mm wires on one of mine, but I reamed the holes to 8mm to fit.
I usually make my own plug wires, and found that the best way to go with the side entry cap is to use copper core wire, rather than the fiber strand core. The contact screws don't work well with the fiber stuff.
Jeff

Country flag
Re: Can I switch from a side to top distributor ca

If it is the proper cap, then it should be no problem unless your car is right hand drive... then it would interfer with the steering column.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker

Side entry caps are so much easier and cheaper when it comes to plug wires.
Get a set of Chevy V8 7mm wires for what you would pay for a 4 banger set but now you have 2 full sets.
4 if you cut em right and buy the plug ends.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Ha, life time supply.

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
You will note that the side entry cap has small scruz inside the cap which hold and pierce the plug wires after cutting square and inserting each 7mm wire.

In order to function correctly and for any length of time, you must use wire (solid) core plug wire as using suppressor core or spiral wound core wire and piercing that wire, it will evntually fail as the hi-tension voltage will cause a "burn back" inside the core.

The downside of solid core wire is noise generation thus you cant use an am radio and an fm radio is iffy. Plus the fact that a neighbor next to you at the stoplight will look at you funny as he cant hear his cell phone or radio.

BUT wait! You can use VW/Bosch resistor spark plug terminals 9if you can find them) along with your Packard 440 type (or any brand) solid wire and make up your own set.
As you say..."roll ur own"

The advantage? Retaining the side entry cap if your a purist restorer.

Howd we get on this topic?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Will it screw up boom boxes, I may like it.

gchase

Freshman Member
I switched from side entry to top entry cap on my '70 Midget after experiencing burnt ends at the screws inside the cap.
Made getting up hills and passing kind of hard with only 2 cylinders firing well. I use the carbon fiber core wires so that was probably the reason for the failure. Everyone is correct tha you can make up a set of new wires easier with the side entry cap. All depends on what you want - for originality , the side entry cap is correct .

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think it looks better as well, in fact have never had anything but.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
To close this thread - I installed the new cap and wires last night. The top cap fit perfectly and new plug wires from Moss also snapped right in.

She (Bugeye) is much more crisp in higher RPM firing now.

Thanks for everyone's help!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

It's all them li'l pointy screws inna cap wot make it happen, methinks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

LOL. (I'm seizing every little victory that I can keeping in mind I'd never turned a wrench before very recently)