• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

can anyone help me identify my mini?

Pooh

Freshman Member
Hello everyone! I bought a mini last November, the previous owner knew very little about it. The car was restored by P&L minis in the UK. Car runs and drives fairly well, but needs some tweeking to get through the emmission test required here in Boulder, Co. I have already gone through the carbs which made a big difference. There is stil a bit of a flat spot or maybee a slight miss-fire cruisig at about 70 mph. I am trying to get some build info from P&L, but no reply as of yet. Without knowing what the engine is, I can only guess at valve lash, timing, plug type etc. I know the carbs are from a '69~72 MGB. 1 1/2 instead of 1 1/4 bores. Perhaps someone here might help. The cylinder head has stamped MT135 and UL21.0 on the top surface, the electronic distributor has AUU 1082 2001 42626D 0986 on it. Anything I should know before I tear the dist. apart to clean and lube? Carbs are AUD325A. Any help would be greatly apreciated! I'll post some pix soon. A neighbor stopped by the other day to check out my mini, told me about his '61 MGA in his garage, which I never knew about, and we've been next door neighbors for 10 years! anyways, thanks for listening!

swift6

Yoda
Hi Pooh. Good to see another Coloradoan on this forum.

Boulder still has emissions? I thought only the Denver Metro counties retained it after January 1st of this year. If you don't know of hom yet, you might give these people a call.

Computer Car Inc.
(303) 791-2442
9509 Titan Park Cir
Littleton, CO 80125-9300

They mostly work on Mini's and race prep several vintage race minis. Give them a shot and see if they can help.

OP
P

Pooh

Freshman Member
Thanks Shaun. The gal at motor vehicles says that I do. Someone else told me that because my mini is titled as a 1962, it shouldn't need emmisssions tested. I'll have to check into it. The test facility had long lines, so I would say Boulder still has testing. Thanks for the lead. I will certainly look them up!

swift6

Yoda
FWIW, In Colorado the cut off for no emissions is 1959, 1960 on still needs emissions if your county still requires. Bummer that you still do. That might go away by the end of this year. The emissions tech people were issuing rumors that the whole state would be without a program by the end of 2007. But they might also change from a CO based emissions program to an NOx based system and start all over again. You are going to get the collectors plate right? Five year registration and no more emissions tests as long as you own the car.

There is another forum member right there in Boulder. Another TR6 owner like me. Not sure if he checks in on the Mini forum though.

There is a pretty active Mini club on the front range I'm told. You can probably google it. Otherwise, we have a very active multi marque club up here in Fort Collins that would welcome you if your a club type person. We do a lot of driving events all over Northern Colorado and participate in several other club events in the Denver area. Usually to drive somewhere and eat, especially if its a brew pub. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif If yo want more info feel free to PM me.

dklawson

Yoda
I don't recognize the casting numbers on the head but suspect (based on the electronic ignition) that you're running a late model A+ engine in an early bodied car.

Regardless of the age of the engine, if you have standard rocker arms (not high-ratio arms) the valves are set to 0.012". The most common plug is NGK BP6ES which is about equivalent to Champion N9Y. If you have solid core ignition wires you'll probably want the "resistor version" of this plug. Sorry... I forget where to put the "R" in the NGK part number, resistor Champions would be RN9Y.

You'll find threads in the Spridget and MG forums on this board that can walk you through tuning SU carbs if you haven't done this before. I don't know what the affect of the larger 1-1/2" carbs may have on your emissions testing but it concerns me.

In addition to the normal tune-up steps to prepare your car for emissions testing there may be some tweaks that will help it pass. For example, I believe most people who find their cars are right on the edge of failing emissions benefit from changing the car's oil immediately before the test is performed. Be sure to use this board's search function to look for other threads on emissions testing. I know I've seen a couple on the Triumph forum during the past year.

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Pooh,
I'll jump in here too. I grew up in Boulder, but have now escaped to Loveland. I was really happy when they did away with emissions testing here. Sorry to hear that the Peoples Republic of Boulder still has it. Welcome to the world of mini ownership. I have been playing with british cars for nearly 30 years and joined the mini brotherhood last year. I currently have a '60 Austin mini and a '66 Riley Elf (as well as a couple of Triumphs and an english Ford).
As far as getting your car to pass, I can tell you I have been able to tune some pretty rough MGBs to get them through, as well as a few Triumphs and a Morris Minor. All of the cars had twin carbs. As mentioned before, the effect of the big MGB carbs might be a bit of an unknown.
I'd be happy to have a look at it if you want to venture north sometime. A small group of Lovelanders are going on a british car drive Saturday, April 14, and you would be welcomed.
If you want to visit about more mini stuff feel free to call me. My phone number (for all the world to see) is 970-290-3791.
Bruce

OP
P

Pooh

Freshman Member
Thanks for the tips! Doug, you mention about high ratio rocker arms. It would be nice if I can get P&L to give me some info about engine mods if any. These are not steel stampings, but silver coloured billets. The engine had been quite rattly, I found lash huge, I adjusted to .016 (cold), engine nice and quiet now. It seems that #1 and #3 cyls pulling a bit stronger than 2,4 at idle. car accelerates great, but while fast cruising it feels like 1 plug is starting to miss. if I accelerate a bit, it goes away. I would love to join your group for a drive, Bruce. I'll be sure to bring extra gas. I don't think I get the fuel mileage that I should, and it only holds 5 gallons. On top of that the fuel guage only reads when its full to 3/4 full, then goes to empty. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

MGADerek

From your description, your rockers could be the standard ratio, cast one's fitted to the A+ engines. I think most, if not all of the high ratio one's are anodized in fancy colours to try and justify the high cost. Is it an A+ engine?

OP
P

Pooh

Freshman Member
Yeaa, that's it! Thank you MGADerek! I'll do some online research, but it makes sense. This car was pieced together using a new body using bits and pieces from other year minis. The interior from perhaps a late model mini cooper. And, I can't figure this out, but it has a switch (momentary contact) with a diagram of a brake pedal on the dash. Goes to a gizmo that opens the vaccuum at the brake booster to atmosphere. Any ideas? You guys are great!

MGADerek

Got any pictures of the switch you're talking about? And the gizmo you're talking about? Sounds like it might be a brake failure warning light. I've got 3 Minis ('79, '89, '90) though I don't claim to be an expert. I can look on my '89 (which is here) and see if I've got the same. derek_up_north@rocketmail.com

OP
P

Pooh

Freshman Member
Thanks for all the help guys. I tried to post some shots of the car and the mystery switch, but the pics were to big to post, could'nt figure how to reduce with my photo editor. I should have some time tomorrow....I did get an answer from P&L which is a bit of help. Here's what they say: <span style="color: #FF6666">Built about 7 years ago using a new shell, new running gear and a 1293 sports pack engine, new cooper S front brakes . and 60,s chrome work , it what exported to Canada about 5 years ago. 1293cc complete engine and gearbox Appox 90Bhp Comprising Of 1) Std Cyl Head 2) Std Rockers 3) Evo Cam & Followers 4) New Oil Pump 5)Crankshaft Re-ground + New Bearings 6) New Pistons & Re-Bored To 1293cc 7) Duplex Std Chain 8) New Clutch Kit & Water Pump 9) Re Con Gearbox 10)Central Oil Pick Up Pipe 11) 3.4 Ratio Diff.</span> So, can I assume it's an A+? and no reason to have oversized carbs, especially at my altitude?