• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Buying car long distance, how should I do this

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
I'm considering buying a car over the internet(long distance). I want to have it shipped, but I don't know how to go about paying for this and feel safe doing it. I've talked to the owner and we've semi agreed on a price, but I just don't know or feel comfortable with sending him a check without the car in my driveway. I've considered driving out to pick it up, but I don't have the time to drive it back. Any suggestions on how I should go about this. Oh yea, this is not a british car, it's a older beetle, but I'm asking on this forum cause I know many of you have bought cars over long distances. My 2 TR3s were purchased within 300 miles from where I live, so I just went and pick them up with a trailer.

macino62

Jedi Hopeful
you've got two viable options (both of which i've done):

1. go in person with cash, drive/trailer the car home. i drove a Porsche 911 2300 miles home one time like this.

2. send the cashier's check and have it shipped. i've bought and sold cars this way with no problem.

If you think you can trust the guy, then that shouldn't be a problem. ...through experience though, what somebody considers to be "perfect" usually doesn't mean the same thing to me. i inspect, or have the car PPI'd before i commit to buy.

where is the car at? maybe somebody on the board could go over for you with an objective view?

startech47

Jedi Knight
I used Reliable Auto Shipping in California, and was burned for $650.00 in a scam. I than used Reindeer in Canada and they had my car to me within two weeks. I was very pleased with their professional service. I agree with Mike. With all of the long distance car purchase scams going on I would want somebody to check it out before I sent any money. I'm sure any of our members would be glad to do this for you.

Phil

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I would STRONGLY recommend having someone check it our first. I've found most people are very willing to help if the car is within a reasonable drive.

I got burnt on a Sunbeam - had to fight with the seller to get a partial refund to get it down to a point where I can cut my losses. The seller wasn't a bad guy, just not a car guy.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
If the car represents a major purchase jump on a plane and go see it yourself. I just bought my TR2 on ebay. I was still trucking and I detoured to Knoxville to go see it...even though the seller had lots of pictures in the listing.

Otherwise ask someone on the forum to take a look...pay him a little for his time. At least you will have a second opinion.

You can also set up an escrow account with your bank and the sellers bank. He gets the $$$ when you get the car. But you can't beat him up over condition, etc when you get it...the bank has the $$$ and will release it when it's time.

Some MAJOR carriers will also deliver your check to the seller when they pick up the car...I was in the auto transport biz and did this pretty often for my customers. They would FedEx a check to a truckstop and I'd pick it up and pay for the car.

The problem with todays auto hauling deal is there are so many "brokered" loads...the guy you contract to haul your car hires someone else to do it...he's just a broker or he can't handle all of his business. You never know who has your car...lots of scary stories.

Search out a hauler in Hemming's or Old Cars Weekly...expect to pay about .80 cents per mile to get it delivered.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

Is there a related car club in the area where the car is located? Often knowledgeable folks in clubs will happily take a look at a car and report back to you. Most don't ask for any payment, but I can think of a few things that might be done to say "thanks". It might be worth doing a little online detective work to see if there is a local club. It's pretty amazing how many times you end up talking to someone who's response is "Oh, sure! I know that car. It's been to several of our shows." or "That car is owned by one of our members."

In terms of payment, yes, there are escrow services for cars (and other large ticket items), too, just like for houses. These accept your payment, hold it in an account and inform the seller that payment has been received, but don't release the money to the seller until you have received the item. I'd be cautious, though, and only use a well recoginzed escrow service, perhaps a subsidiary of an established company (like eBay). Oh, and in this sort of transaction, the cost of the escrow service falls on the buyer, not the seller. So it adds to your purchase price.

There have been recent ripoffs of people buying large tickets "long distance", including one or two mentioned here on BCF... so be a little careful.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Check the vehicle first thru an Auto Inspection Company, I saved myself from a nightmare that way. The seller was the best liar I'd ever met (telephonically). I got the vehicle inspected and an 11 page report from AAG (google it) also a quick phone call from the inspector. Rust everywhere (not in the photos) no records of any maint/rebuild (I have them somehwere) etc.etc.
I did eventually purchase my present TR3 long distance using a bank note (transaction records) without a problem but I'd had the vehicle inspected, he saw the title, and gave me a positive as to the individual and the car.
Some folks are downright dishonest and others just don't know vehicles but the result can be the same.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
You want someone who knows a lot about beetles to check it out for you. I am sure there will be a member of the VW club close to where the car is who would probably jump at the chance to go and have a look for you over the holidays. It is just not the same looking at pictures and even asking someone who is not familiar with beetles is not so good.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifI just bought a Triumph here in the UK. It was only 430 miles away, but that is a long way over here! I put a message on the Triumph Sports Six Club's forum and a member of the club went to view the car for me the next day. He was able to describe it and take some more pictures of the bad bits. Having decided it was a legitimate sale and it was in reasonable condition, I sent cash to the seller and then organised delivery through my local garage. They knew of a reliable company.
Having received the car a couple of weeks ago I am delighted with it. It is exactly as I expected it to be.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I bought a car that it was impractical to check out in person and there was no one readily available to look it over for me (was on an island in the Pacific). I did get 100+ photos and the seller seemed a straight-up knowledgeable guy. Best of all, he agreed to have me wire the money only after I got confiramation from the shipper that they had posession of the car.

Despite that there are about a thousand ways it could have turned out bad... lucky for me it is a fine car and better than I expected. In light of recent scams no way I would try that again (my experience was 5 years ago).

Hey Nick -- 'round here we drive 430 miles to have lunch. Of course, any house in our town built before 1960 is pretty much considered an historic site.

OP
bluemiata90

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for all the suggestions. It is unfortunate that in this day and age you really have to watch yourself when dealing with strangers, but that is another story. Anyways, I think I've come up with a plan. A good friend of mine lives about 200 miles away from the seller. The seller and I have agreed tentatively on a price and he has agreed to deliver it to my friend house, where he will get paid in cash if the car checks out to be as described. I know this is putting alot on my friend and I can only hope that this goes smoothly so we stay friends. If it checks out, I'll fly out when I have the time and pick it up from my friends house. This will also give me time to title, insure and plate the vehicle. I can only hope this works without any problems. Thanks again for all the suggestions and input. Have a happy holiday to all.

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
If your in the states;Wherever the car is its most cost effective to get on a bus & travel & see first hand for yourself.Greyhound would be a good choice,very cost effective & your NOT out alot of travel money.If your satisfied;Then use "DEPENDABLE AUTO TRANSPORT" they will guarantee you very satisfactory service,I know because I contracted with them to deliver my 1980 Spitfire from Mission Veigo California to Ohio($500.00 covered carrier)VERY PROFESSIONAL.They are on the web.(I am NOT affiliated at all with this carrier but my service with them was excellent)Although i didn't Greyhound to Calif.,I did have a VERY GOOD RAPPORE with the seller/carrier.I then used a bank cashier's check to pay for my purchase sent via registered/certified mail,And IT WAS purchased on Ebay.When the seller is notified that your coming to see the car in person HE's FORCED TO BE HONEST......This is/was my personal experience hope it helps the anxiety a bit.GOOD LUCK...Ken(owner of a MOST BEAUTIFUL RESTORED SPITFIRE) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

brent615

Jedi Trainee
Anyone heard of Giant Auto Transport out of Miami? I found a car in Maryland (I'm in Nashville), I had the car checked out, talked to the owner's mechanic and agreed to a price. I overnighted him a cashier's check, he scanned and emailed me the title, then overnighted the title (by UPS so I could track it)that same day. Now I am waiting on Giant to pick it up. I know its the holidays but I expected to kept informed of the status of the shipment. At least an email or call. No word since the day after I placed the shipping order when a driver called and thought there were 2 TR6's. When he found out Giant had entered the order twice he wouldn't take the delivery.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone heard of Giant Auto Transport out of Miami? I found a car in Maryland (I'm in Nashville), I had the car checked out, talked to the owner's mechanic and agreed to a price. I overnighted him a cashier's check, he scanned and emailed me the title, then overnighted the title (by UPS so I could track it)that same day. Now I am waiting on Giant to pick it up. I know its the holidays but I expected to kept informed of the status of the shipment. At least an email or call. No word since the day after I placed the shipping order when a driver called and thought there were 2 TR6's. When he found out Giant had entered the order twice he wouldn't take the delivery.

[/ QUOTE ]
As a former owner/operator you get used to being lied to by the trucking companys. I would guess they told him TWO TR's to get him to go get the cars...when he found out there was only ONE it wasn't worth it to him to go get the car.
Pretty typical in the biz...good luck!

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
As a former 64 Beetle owner beware of rust on the lower part of the firewall and also the whole lenght of the heater boxes and heater channel. They are well known for rusting and the rust can be hidden very well. Good Luck

foxtrapper

Jedi Trainee
I've been burned on a long distance purchase. And embarassingly, it wasn't too far to have driven to see it first, and I should have. The photos were beautifull, to bad they weren't of the vehicle that came to my house.

I personally will not buy a car that I cannot inspect before I buy it. If that means a plane ticket or a lot of gas going out with the truck and trailer, so be it.

The sole exception I'd make to this is buying essentially junk. Buying a $300 TR3 wouldn't worry me too much as no matter how bad it actually is, I didn't over spend.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Scott,
Where is the car? Maybe someone on the forum is close enough to check it out? I'm in northern Alabama. Last year I bought my TR6 from a man in Seattle. He sent a variety of pictures, we exchanged a bunch of emails and spent hours on the phone. It seems like I came up with a new question every day. The seller was absolutely honest and forthcoming during all of our correspondence. IMHO a patient seller who is willing to endure endless questions and a lengthy period of indecision is basically honest. Having a garage full of British beauties was indicative of his interest in these cars.
I sent a down payment of $1K. My brother and I flew from Washing DC to Seattle to complete the purchase. The seller was kind enough to allow us to stay with him and his wife until we were ready to drive the car back to Huntsville. If the car was not up to my expectations I was prepared to forfeit my deposit and find another way home. However I felt there was a very low risk of forfeiture.
This brings up another question. Is the car drivable? What about driving the car home? It's a wonderful honeymoon.
In my case I brought a bag of tools and an assortment of spare parts. Mostly consumables that could break or wear out on an extended trip. If we encountered a major breakdown I would have made arrangements to store the car locally until I could either have it transported or return at a later date to complete the repairs and continue the drive.
For various reasons lots of owners would not consider a long trip in their Triumphs. When I look at some of the neglected junk driving on the hiways every day as well as some of the ghastly abominations we encountered during our trip I have no doubt that a reasonably maintained Triumph is perfectly capable of completing a cross country trip.
If you decide to drive and have any problems within 200 miles of Huntsville. I'll be glad to drive out and help.
BOBH

OP
bluemiata90

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for all the input. After checking on shipping etc. I decided to look locally and have several good prospects. I just feel more comfortable seeing and checking it myself. Maybe down the road I'll try the long distance purchase, but at this time, locally seems the way to go for me. Thanks again

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Again I ask. Has anyone bought a car from the UK and delivered to the states?
Don

tomshobby

Yoda
I have posted this list elsewhere hoping it will save some grief. I know everybody wants an easy answer but there seems to be a lot of fraud going on lately and these are some guidelines to help avoid scammers and find the vehicle that you are hoping for. At one time I used to inspect vehicles for a car dealer and these are the things I did. Hope it is helpful.

1. Obtain seller’s street address. Not a PO Box.
2. Obtain seller’s land line phone number. Not a cell number.
3. Verify both by sending a contact letter requiring a response and calling the number.
4. If both check out then obtain the Vin number and registration number as they are on the title. Have your local police run a check on them.
5. If these all pass you are ready to look at the vehicle.
6. Make a list of everything you want to check before looking at the vehicle and obtain a safety checklist from your state or the state where the vehicle resides. No matter what the vehicle looks like follow these lists.
7. If you cannot or if you are inexperienced have a trusted person with experience check the vehicle. Two people are better than one.
8. Do not allow the seller to distract you when doing the inspection.
9. When checking the vehicle first verify the Vin number so you know it is the same vehicle that the title represents.
10. Always remember that this is not the only vehicle available. If you are not satisfied – pass on it.
11. If you decide to purchase make payment only in a way that your personal banking institution recommends.
12. Have your camera with you and take a good picture of the seller. If you get scammed this will be important.
13. Remember that it is your money being spent. It is easier to keep it and be comfortable with your diligence than it is to get back after you hand it over.
14. Vehicle scams depend on the potential buyers dream clouded view. Only by your calm, cold inspection can you get to your dream, don’t let them get away with it. An honest seller will assist you in your effort.