• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Busted alt...

Morris

Yoda
Well, my alt suddently quit on me. I think I blew the diode when I accidently arced to the alt body whilst fiddling with the ignition.

Can the diode be replaced?

Can anyone reccomend a substitute alt that requires minimum mods to fit?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Depends on the alternator. Some have a diode bridge you can replace, some have diodes which can be replaced individually. What unit is fitted to your car, Morris?

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That's th' ticket. Do that one time and after that it's "on the shelf" as a replacement.

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
I put the GM alternator on my 1500. It works like a charm and was pretty cheap. Just had to cut the lower bracket a bit. I could normally have provided pictures but...the lump is in a million bits right now and the alternator is in the trunk...lol
JC

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
Ummmmm... never mind. Alt started alternating again. Must of knocked a connection loose or something.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
mehheh. "Emboldened electrons" then?

Mike H

Jedi Hopeful
I did the same thing as JC.
It works like a charm.
Advantages:
Minimum 63 amps instead of 34
Cheaper than a new or rebuilt Lucas
If you have to replace it in the future, just about every auto parts store has it on the shelf.

Mike

Tim Hollister

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Ummmmm... never mind. Alt started alternating again. Must of knocked a connection loose or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Lucas smoke somehow got back into your alternator circuits? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I think you'd better figure how that happened with an eye on getting it patented and making the big bucks!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Tim

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
alternators and many other electronic circuits are heat and vibration sensitive, so make sure it is infact 'good' before you go too far from home.

It's no fun to get 30 miles outside of town to find out your alternator and battery are dead!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Happy Birthday Tim!!

Tim Hollister

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Well, hello Doc!

I take it the birthday gretting was directed toward me. And a pleasant surprise it was! Thanks!

But I was a bit puzzled -- until I looked at my profile. Couldn't figure out how the heck you knew!

Yep, 53 big ones yesterday. Guess that makes me about average around here. Born 1953, now 53 years old, and have had #53 on the race car for a few years now. I think I'll go play the lottery -- something with a 53 in it. Gotta be a winner!

Thanks again!

Tim

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif We're fairly crafty around here... but I cheated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif