• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bumpers are finally back....almost

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Well, today was a good day even though I'm sick with the flu. My bumpers were done and all I need is the second license plate frame, which should be done by Friday. It was in copper buffing today and will get the nickel bath tomorrow, another polish and finished with the chrome process by Thursday evening. Expensive, but worth it.

See what I meant, Dale? It never really ever ends. One modification or restore project is too many and one thousand are not enough on these cars. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif

Here's the bumpers as I picked them up, not polished yet.

bumper 040 (Custom).jpg

bumper 038 (Custom).jpg

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Well worth waiting for!!!

did i see an extra lic plate mount?..............

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
K:

The extra license mount is due back Friday. I told him not to ship it, that I'd rather pick it up. I'll be getting back with you after I get it.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
thanx Paul
yer da man!

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks all, for the compliments. My wife came home and I asked her to help me wrap them back up, to protect them until I get to the body shop. It was the first time she asked how much this little project cost.

Ya know, it's really amazing how well smelling salts work....

But at least she didn't complain.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
HIDE ALL RESEIPTS!!

They really look beautiful!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice looking work, Paul. Hope the rest of your TR6 looks as clean, or you'll be spending even more to bring the rest of the bits up to snuff.

Me, I'm keeping my chrome bits with their original "patina" -- it's cheaper that way, and I don't notice the lousy paint or fading interior that way. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Edit:
Just looked through the pictures on your site, and that is a really nice looking car. You made the mistake of going with high quality work, now you can't stop! Nice car, hopefully I'll get a chance to see it when I'm back in RI in the fall.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Edit:
Just looked through the pictures on your site, and that is a really nice looking car. You made the mistake of going with high quality work, now you can't stop! Nice car, hopefully I'll get a chance to see it when I'm back in RI in the fall. [/QUOTE]

That's why I've said, one project on these is too many and one thousand is not enough. You get hooked and it becomes a compromise between what you really want to do and how much you'll drive the car. I want it to be as nice as can be, but most of all, reliable and fun to drive. I'll never make a trailer queen out of it and will continue to change and improve the car as I go along.

Although this will about do it for this year, once the triple carbs are done. I just want the weather to get nice so we can drive and enjoy all of the efforts put in so far.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Amen!

blacksummerrain

Freshman Member
Awesome! I don't remember the TR6 chrome being that nice when the cars were new and sitting on the showroom floors.

I used to check out the new TR6's on the lot at Continental Cars in St. Louis back in the early to mid 70's. A lot of the current restorations I'm seeing are putting the original factory-new preparations to shame.

I can't remember what the window sticker was on the cars back then, however, I'm guessing that the cost of your restored bumpers probably represents 25%-33% of what the entire car cost back then...

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I would like to take this time to ask what is the best way to keep them shinny and new.

I had my bumpers re-chromed last year. (not nearly as nice as yours) but each time I drive my 6, I'm amazed at how much build-up of exhaust there is on the rear bumper. Granted I have tried to adjust me tailpipe low. but too low and the scrap.

If I dont clean the right after the drive it makes it very difficult to remove this debris.

What in your best opinon is the best chrome cleaner & is there an protective seal that can be applied prior to driving?

maybe a silicone spray?
CARTR64.jpg

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I use Mother's Billet Cleaner for all of my chrome and carb tops. etc. A bit expensive, but a little goes a long way and the shine is unbelievable when done. Then a good coat of Mothers Paste wax (on the chrome or stainless ONLY!) to preserve it and you're good for many rides. Just wash it off with a good quality car soap in very light amounts. I prefer Mothers products for that as well.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'll give it a go...