• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye Starter Issue & Pics of the Car

Bill_Reid

Country flag
Guys check me out here please. All wiring is complete and appears to be correct. However, I cannot get the starter to make any sounds other than a strange click. The neg terminal connects to the engine cutoff switch which connects to the solenoid which connects to the starter. Correct? When we engage the solenoid, the pos ground strap gets hot very quickly. My guess is that the problem is in the starter. Correct?

Also if I need to change the starter, is the new high torque one sold by VB and Moss a good option? No problems with fit, etc?
Just so folks know that there really is a car at the other end of all my requests for help I have included some pics.

Have no idea how the pics ended uo upsidedown. I tried twice...oh well

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 82

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Do you have the ground strap connected between the bottom of the car ( and to shiny sheet metal) and the engine/transmission?
I always try to test my starter outside of the engine prior to install. That narrows down the frustration factor.
Check that the positive strap is connected to shiny sheet metal. Also check that the starter face which contacts the rear plate is free of paint. Good luck, Scott in CA

OP
B

Bill_Reid

Country flag
Thanks, Scott
I double checked the ground strap today. Also the starter was never off the engine. I almost installed a new hi-torque starter before I put the engine back in.....wish I had.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
To me it sounds like the starter is "bound up" (engaged in the stand-still condition)
Put the car in 4th and push it forward about 5 feet and then try to start it again.
BillM

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Guys check me out here please. All wiring is complete and appears to be correct. However, I cannot get the starter to make any sounds other than a strange click. The neg terminal connects to the engine cutoff switch which connects to the solenoid which connects to the starter. Correct? When we engage the solenoid, the pos ground strap gets hot very quickly. My guess is that the problem is in the starter. Correct?

Also if I need to change the starter, is the new high torque one sold by VB and Moss a good option? No problems with fit, etc?
Just so folks know that there really is a car at the other end of all my requests for help I have included some pics.

Have no idea how the pics ended uo upsidedown. I tried twice...oh well

Bill,

Chances are you have an internal short on the connection post. If you undo or tighten the nut without holding the inner nut, it's possible to twist the post and damage the connection on the inside, creating a short or an open circuit. The hot cable leads me to believe you have a short. If you want a gear reduction starter, I stock those for my 5 speed conversions and can fix you up and save you some money.

P.S. I'll be sending out your MC next week.

Reposted your pix for you. - the car's lookin' great BTW!

billreid1.jpgbillreid2.jpgbillreid3.jpg

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Gerard,

Glad you fixed the pics. Thought he had one of those Factory Team only, Negative Gravity BE's.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Car is looking good. How many months into this project so far?

OP
B

Bill_Reid

Country flag
Well, the car was at the body shop for a long time for various reasons. The paint job came out well (ST Restoration, New Bern ...good guys). I have been putting it back together for about 10 months. I had previously cleaned and refinished the various pieces so I would be ready to go when the paint was done. Unfortunately the last hurricane put about four feet of water in my garage and I had to redo everything (suspension, etc). I hope I am pretty close to finishing now.....maybe May? I purposely have not kept close track of the cost, but I know that it has been way more than the car is worth.....It has been great fun, though, and a tremendous learning experience....I have a TD waiting and I am looking forward taking that rascal apart....

The guys on the forum have been a tremendous help and I would still be scratching my head about the host of problems I have encountered without them.