• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye - need help with last 3 dash wires

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks to all of you, especially Ray for the pictures, I have all but three wires identified for my Austin Healey Spares wireing harness. There are two black wires, which are the same length, and have nothing on the ends. There is also a single green wire with a brown stripe and metal tip goes. Anybody have any idea where they go? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

Attachments

• 20953.jpg
    20953.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 177

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The green with brown stripe is the heater motor wire. A green wire connects to the heater switch (pull/push) and the other wire from the switch connects to the green/brown wire. This wire is part of the harness, and the other end of the wire is located in the engine compartment which gets connect to the heater blower.
Black wires are ground. Check the obvious choices at one side of the windshield wiper switch, or each of the panel insturments which have a ground connection.
BTW: Make sure all of the black wires are grounded, the dash connection is at the flasher at the right firewall. Make sure each instrument is grounded (so the dash lights work). Also the flasher light has to be grounded to work. I added an additional wire connected to the flasher light housing, as my dash did not seem to be grounded.
Good luck,
Scott in CA

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Black wires will be ground wires, likely the reason they have nothing on the end is so that you can decide what they will attach to. They are the sort of thing that you solder a ring end to and put under a screw or bolt attached to the body. I have one attached to the firewall next to the fuse box, another attached the the inner drivers fender about 2/3 forward from the firewall in the engine bay. According to my bugeye schematic, green and brown should be for the heater motor.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Just a couple last questions. 1) Could I just connect each grounding wire to the back of one of the instrument brackets? 2)I am confused about the heater motor hook up. There are two black leads comming from the heater switch with a bullet type coonector on each end. On the heater blower motor there are two black leads - one has a bullet type connector on the end, and the other black wire has a ring type connector on the end. So how do the four black wires and green wire with the brown stripe connect? I am guessing the black wire with the ring on the end from the motor is a ground, correct?
Kevin

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
1. I remeber one of the ground wires attaching to the wiper switch, as it uses a bare wire. My BE harness used only one ground to the chassis, the black wire near the flasher unit in the engine compartment which was bolted to the firewall. As the methods for grounding all the dash units is a bit convoluted, it is important to check all of the black wires are grounded to that firewall connection. I used a continuity light for this.
2. The heater switch's one of the black wires (doesn't matter which one) is connected to the green wire from the harness (turns on with the ignition switch). The other black wire from the heater switch is connected to the green/brown wire from the harness you questioned about. This green/brown wire disappears into the harness and re-appears in the engine compartment next to the coil along with the blue wires for the headlight dip switch harness. This gree/brown wire is then connected to one of the black wires for the blower and the other black wire for the blower is grounded to a screw. It doesn't matter which of balck wires is used on the blower, but one already has a ring, so that one is for the connectiong to the chassis.
Scott in CA

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Sorry to be so dense, but is this correct?
1) I attach the green wire with the brown stripe to one of the black wires from the heater control switch.
2) I ground the black wire from the blower motor to the body.
3) Does the remaining black wire from the switch connect to the remaining black wire on the blower motor?
Kevin

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I made up a drawing I hope will explain it.
Electricity is like a water pipe. there has to be a source (battery), a valve to turn it on and off (switch) and a motor (blower).
The green wire is from the fuse box which is turned on and off with the ignition key (battery). The heater switch is the valve. And the blower is the motor. the ground wire to the chassis completes the circuit back to the battery. I used as a ground for the blower one of the screws holding the blank cover of the master cylinder for the RHD.
Scott in CA

Attachments

• 20965.jpg
    20965.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 146