• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye Luggage Rack, Speedo & Tach Jewell Inset

Team_Sprite

Jedi Trainee
I am so sorry, I completely overlooked the questions in your posts.

<Brian I need er want to know where the lugage rack came from? >

I was told that it was on there when the car left the Calif. dealer, the oldest photos I can come up with are early seventies, and it appears there. Maybe someone else has one with a history? It does sit on four tapered plinths that conform to the body fall-away, if that helps. Sure seems to be made for a Bugeye.

<Also note that youall made new jewels for both instruments, thanks to Bob Webb for both the idea and the materials. I think we need to know about this trick, a whole bunch of us>.

You can buy a length of 1/4" blue or red dowel at a plastics shop, (here we have "Tap" Plastics) pop it in the drill, and, slowly, turn it being careful not to let it start melting. We used a file to rough it then sandpaper and Scotch Brite, finish with rubbing compound. I think if you look on the "gallery" page of our site the is a progression running down the left side. If you can't find the plastic let me know and I will hunt some down, I leave the woods for a day job in Reno once a week, I think I can find a piece there.
Brian & the girls
www.teamsprite.com

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Also note that youall made new jewels for both instruments, thanks to Bob Webb for both the idea and the materials. I think we need to know about this trick, a whole bunch of us>.

You can buy a length of 1/4" blue or red dowel at a plastics shop, (here we have "Tap" Plastics) pop it in the drill, and, slowly, turn it being careful not to let it start melting. We used a file to rough it then sandpaper and Scotch Brite, finish with rubbing compound. I think if you look on the "gallery" page of our site the is a progression running down the left side. If you can't find the plastic let me know and I will hunt some down, I leave the woods for a day job in Reno once a week, I think I can find a piece there.

Ok, wonder what a plastics shop is.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
but there are so many kinds and we need a clear type 1/8 in dia in red and green I think.

Just what do we need?

My tac and spedo has nothing and I don't remember.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Re: Bugeye Luggage Rack, Speedo & Tach Jewell Inse

Both jewels should be red for a Bugeye (mine are both missing too). I've got some little red discs that someone on the Spridgets list sent me, They were cut out of some of that thin translucent red plastic stock like you get for a file folder. A small amount of sanding on the edges and they should fit just fine.

Not sure I've ever seen a photo of a Bugeye that had both jewels in place. Even the Bugeyes in the Horler book are missing at least one.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

My orginal one way way back had one missing as well.

Bet some super glue will hold them for ever.

OP
Team_Sprite

Team_Sprite

Jedi Trainee

<Both jewels should be red for a Bugeye>
Hi Drew, where did that info come from? I was assured (apparently wrongly) that the high beam was blue.

<Bet some super glue will hold them for ever. >
Jack, hold off on the super glue until I see if I can find you some plastic.

Brian & the girls,
www.teamsprite.com

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Hehe, okies. Appreciated. I seem to remenber a blue one as well now that you mention it. Wonder which is which.

Hi beam is blue? Ign is ??????

Darn if I can remember, it's always in the details.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag

should be red (it is in my midget anyway)

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

If I remember correctly, the Horler book says that they are both red. I'll have to check when I get home. I asked this a while back, and got a range of answers, but the final verdict was that they are both red.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

That's wrong Drew, bet you a beer.

Yep Holder says both red, but that can not be correct. I know I had a blue one.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Woops, Holder says Bugeye both red, and MG MK I Blue spedo, tac red. Bet you can guess what I had. Oh my, lost a beer to Drew.

However, that makes it easier with both the same color.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Here's our discussion from earlier:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=191531

I've never seen a color picture of a Bugeye with both little lenses in place. Not the best design. I got some responses from the Spridgets email list on this topic a while back as well--I'll dig through them when I get home and see what they said.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

I'll take you up on that beer next time I'm in the area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

dklawson

Yoda
Re: Bugeye Luggage Rack, Speedo & Tach Jewel Inse

Sorry, can't comment about the A35.

I wanted to add to the jewel discussion. If you still have the old plastic jewels in the gauge but they are sun faded or hazy, visit a craft store like A.C. Moore. Go to the aisle where they sell acrylic paints for glass decoration. You can buy various colors and use them to re-color the sun faded jewels on your existing gauges. I've even heard of some people using these paints (in an air brush) to re-color their tail lamp lenses by coating the insides.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Sounds great Drew.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

On the gauge lenses, here's a message I got from the very nice gentleman on the Spridgets list who sent me a few "dots" for my gauges. He cut the dots out of an index card holder with a 1/8" pin punch.

[ QUOTE ]
I just replaced the 'red dots' in mine. All it took for material was a translucent red plastic 3x5 card holder that I got from Staples for about $1.50. Anything like that will do. An inexpensive rotary hand punch from Harbor Freight (couple bucks) cut the dots, which may have to be sanded around the edge a bit to fit. You want them tight, but loose enough to go in without a struggle. Carefully tap the dot into the hole with a pin punch or other suitable thing such as a nail head of the right size. Don`t push too hard, as you might bend the thin gauge face. That would be worse than having the missing dot.

Even though they`re tiny, you can hold a dot gently with tweezers and rub it some around the edge on #400 sandpaper to get it down to size. Use the tweezers to sit the dot over the hole, get it as straight as you can, and push it home with a pin punch (or whatever is handy) of more or less the same size. Use moderate pressure. This will take several tries and a steady hand.

[/ QUOTE ]