• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye hardtop storage help please

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
The rate I am going on my Bugeye, it will be at least another year before I will have time to restore my hardtop. Does anyone have a home made rack they have made that attaches to the garage ceiling that allows easy access? If you have a pic and measurements that would be great, but any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm interested in seeing storage ideas too!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
~THIS~ might give you some ideas.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Nice setup but if you look closely he's using all sailing hardware Harken Ball Bearing Blocks for all of his pulleys. There's probably $200 just in blocks and pulleys on this setup.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Harbor Freight has a block & tackle for $6 that is WAY stronger than a hardtop needs.
I would NEVER use PVC tubing like that for anything that I value (with joints in the middle of the assembly). Run the tubes the full length across and attach the cross tube without cutting the long tubes.
BillM

paulsherman

Jedi Trainee
My hard top problem is not storage, it is motivation to refinish.
I plan to start restoration soon but not sure how to proceed. It is checked, rough and needs refinishing. I was told by someone to strip it and then use some kind of skim coat which makes some sense. When I tried to rough sand it it is gummy. Another solution would be to just add a few coats of resin by brush and/or roller, sand it smooth then skim coat, then paint.
Any ideas?
Thank you

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would like to hang my hardtop as well. I've been looking at one that is sold by Amazon. It is raised and lowered by a screw mechanism and has a 4 X 4 ft. platform for the top to sit on. It isn't cheap at $140 but there is no question about its carrying ability. There is info about it at https://tinyurl.com/6c67yo8
All I know about it is what I have read so I can't endorse it and I'm not commited to anything at this time.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Whatever you do, be sure to do it right. My son bought his wife a new Miata with a hard top a few years ago but save a few dollars on the dealer's lift. Made his own much cheaper. Yep, you guessed it. The lift failed, dropping the top onto the car. She was not a happy camper.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
There is a long discussion on the BCF MG forum if you search for "hardtop restoration". I would provide a link but I am on my cell phone.
Regards
Paul

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keep it simple: I've got two BE hard-tops that have been hanging off the roof of the garage since the early 70s - they're not perfect and I didn't need them, but opportunity knocked. Just got two eye hooks screwed into the ceiling with a piece of rope running under the hardtop left to right (it is suspended top up)from a bowline on one hook and half hitches on the other; the rope is located towards the rear of the top of the side-curtain cut out. If the paint had been perfect etc., then I would've put a bit of padding between the top and the plywood ceiling. This is all you need for storage; if you're looking for a single person up/down on a regular basis, then by all means look into the more sophisticated approaches.
Doug