• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

British car - how to license in USA?

RickB

Yoda
I found an lbc that was imported a long time ago but never licensed in the USA.
If I bought it how difficult would it be to get it licensed?
I have no idea what the first step would be.

JBee

Freshman Member
the problem is....when you go to the DMV in WA how do they know U havent stolen it?
U might contact the DMV and tell your tale....to a supervisor...but without any supporting docs you will have a problem.

but look here........WA might be liberal........

Replacing Your Lost Title

If you suddenly realize your vehicle's title is missing, you'll need to replace this document. It's important, especially if you're in the process of selling your vehicle.

Here's what you do:
Complete and notarize an Affidavit of Loss form.
Pay a $9 fee.

Do this in person by visiting any vehicle licensing office. Or, if you prefer to submit by mail, send it to:
Department of Licensing
P.O. Box 9909
Olympia, Washington 98507-8500

Be patient. It takes up to ten weeks for your duplicate title to arrive in the mail.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
So, given there's no record of the car here in the USA they would do some kind of search most likely but it wouldn't turn up - then they just issue a title?
Sounds strange, but I wouldn't be surprised.
We also have an inspection system, I know I've had to take a car in to have it inspected by the State Patrol before getting a license.

Country flag
Can you get the documents used to import it? Those along with the bill of sale provide a chain of ownership. You should be good to go.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Rick,

What kind of car is it?

- Doug

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Morris Minor Woody Wagon (Traveller)

My kid saw it while driving up the coast Highway and took a picture.
Not of anything useful like the for sale sign, of course.
So she thought she remembered where it was so I looked up that town on Google.
Then I used street view till I found the building in the background of her picture.
Got the business name, then phone number then called.
Talked right to the current owner.
He got the car when he bought the business. Package deal.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Wonder what they will do to me for taxes?

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Rick

It isn't just a state DOL thing when deeling with imported cars, there are major federal regulations for importing a car not sold in the US. I would start here to see what your up against.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
oh boy, looks like a lot of fun -

Small wonder he hasn't sold the thing yet.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It sounds like the WA application for lost title might depend on existing records for that title which would not exist. As far as importation problems though, the Morris should be old enough to not cause a problem. Besides, they were actually sold in this country when new. I can't speak for WA but in OK, it is still possible to get a new title issued although it does take a little help form some official now.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I know nothing about this process but, two thoughts.

1. I suspect the reason it hasn't been registered yet was due to lack of documentation or some such hassle in the first place - can't imagine it was imported as a lawn ornament.

2. That being said it might be MUCH easier to play dumb and simply try to get it registered as a car without an ownership. Typically this can be done with a sworn affidavit of some sort. You don't know for sure(nudge nudge wink wink) that this wasn't officially imported, all you know is that it currently has no ownership.

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Not all cars from a manufacturer are equipped and/or legal in all markets. A Home market (England) Spridget would not be able to register in the US without the proper importation paperwork. Rick says the car was imported and was never legally papered thus his problem. Not that he couldn't get it done with some leg work, just that it will have to be done.

Another possible route would be to customize it with a new drive train and have it licensed as a custom car. In Washington if you change a major component of the car you can license it as a custom car and have the Washington State Patrol issue it a VIN. The new 2011 law is here.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5585&year=2011#documents

Rick knows all about swapping out drive trains, don't you Rick?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What is it with Minors all of a sudden?A friend of mine just
bought one (a Traveler),& then I saw another one (Traveler),and then
there's a nice convertible that I saw driving around.It's on craigslist
right now - last seller claimed that it was owned by Woopie Goldberg -
(like that makes it worth a lot of money!).

- Doug

https://humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/2543054855.html

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I think you may be over-thinking/overcomplicating the issue. I have been able to get titles for cars without titles with a Bill of Sale and an affidavit from the seller when necessary. If it's not "on the books" anymore, they don't know if it's ever been registered or not. Morris Minors were legally imported into the US until 1967 so none of whatever legislation you are reading should matter. Traveller's are very collectable and would be worth pursuing in my opinion unless it's very rusted or the wood is rotted. If your DMV is like CA DMV, their biggest concern is that it has a VIN number that they can verify it's not stolen. One thing I have done in the past when a title is missing, is to get a BMIHT certificate. It will state manufacture date and chassis and engine numbers. That will verify the year and VIN for them and sometimes will also tell you the car's export location.

For those that don't know, I have considerable expertise in Morris Minors (as much as in Spridgets). I own two Morris Minors currently and have worked on numerous Travellers. I have a lot of regulars with them here in town and can give you some guidance for VIN locations and things to check, should you decide to dig deeper.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I have seen a couple convertibles that I thought were really sweet.

Here's the RCW about what constitutes a "major component":

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.80.010

""Major component part" includes at least each of the following vehicle parts: (a) Engines and short blocks; (b) frame; (c) transmission and/or transfer case; (d) cab; (e) door; (f) front or rear differential; (g) front or rear clip; (h) quarter panel; (i) truck bed or box; (j) seat; (k) hood; (l) bumper; (m) fender; and (n) airbag. The director may supplement this list by rule."

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Thanks Gerard, I think that would definitely be my first route.
Keep it simple - that's the best course.

nomad

Yoda
Rick, I'm not avocating doing something like this but I know of at least one Shelby mustang running aroumd that is titled with the title and has had the serial numbers changed to one that was actually rolled up in a ball in a collision. Think the buyer had to pay a pretty hefty price for the serial plates and title though. If all else failed I'm betting that Minor will end up the same way some day.

Kurt.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
nomad said:
Rick, I'm not avocating doing something like this but I know of at least one Shelby mustang running aroumd that is titled with the title and has had the serial numbers changed to one that was actually rolled up in a ball in a collision. Think the buyer had to pay a pretty hefty price for the serial plates and title though. If all else failed I'm betting that Minor will end up the same way some day.

Kurt.

No offense, but that's just a terrible idea. It's fraud and can lead to the car being seized not to mention a trip to the gray bar hotel. I think Gerard is right, it shouldn't be too much of a problem with a bill of sale to get it titled. Worse case scenario is you can apply for a bonded title in Washington: https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.12.151

K

KSIS

Rick,
Give the DMV in Oak Harbor a call. They are very helpful and understanding. No lines as only three people work there. I'm tending to agree with Gerard.