• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brass freeze plugs for 1275...

Country flag
Why brass?

Country flag
OK, I just assume that I'll need to rebuild my engine before mine will corrode.
They are sometimes referred to as welch plugs.

R

RonMacPherson

Any good parts supplier, Napa, CarQuest, etc. that carries Dorman products should have them on hand, or available from their local warehouse.

Might do a search for Dorman Hardware...

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Yes, steel one are avialable easily (as mentioned, Dorman and others make them as well as in the Moss catalog).

But *brass* ones might be another story.

I'm sure you could have them made up, but I can't recall ever seeing them in a 1275 engine myself.

The steel ones in my MGB are 40 years old...still seem to be OK.

Dug

Jedi Trainee
Ed,
How many do you need? I do have them. Someone will chime in and also tell you that "if" the engine is apart you could simply tap the holes 1/8" NPT and use brass, stainless or zinc plated pipe plugs. But if you need brass press in style plugs I can help.
Dug

Sounds like the machinist may be a bit A series iffy, the 1275s have bullit proof freeze/core plugs, now if we were talking about 948/1098 or a MGB I could buy that, but brass freeze plug, whats up with that, sure he didn't say oil galley plug, if so I tap for NPT plugs as well.

Dug

Jedi Trainee
I'm thinking they are asking for galley plugs. That's what I sent Ed.
If I'm wrong then Ed has some galley plugs he will not need,but a bigger problem with the shop his engines at.
Dug

Country flag
But wouldn't a machine shop have a large assortment of brass plugs on hand?

Most engines beside our ours don't use brass plugs, Cheeeeeevies :smile: :smile: use little cup plugs. Actually what they are you'd never find today anywhere but a British vendor the orgignal are tapered brass plugs, I never reinstalled them, always used NPT plugs, that habit comes form my racing background.

Country flag
OK... the the machine shop I use has several bins of them, but they do work on many vintage and antique engines both foreign and domestic. I just assumed that the plugs were common enough for everyone to keep on hand.

Dug

Jedi Trainee
I’m allergic to moss so I couldn’t say. However you should have a Fastenal store nearby and the part number(s) you would want to look for are
73390 for stainless
94132 for zinc plated steel
80743 for brass
That's a good route to go, you will have a choice as the press in ones are on their way.

Dug

OP
lbc_newbie

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
Hap Waldrop said:
Most engines beside our ours don't use brass plugs, Cheeeeeevies :smile: :smile: use little cup plugs. Actually what they are you'd never find today anywhere but a British vendor the orgignal are tapered brass plugs, I never reinstalled them, always used NPT plugs, that habit comes form my racing background.

I think I've made it obvious that I'm not an experienced engine builder. I appreciate all the feedback. Still looking for a supplier for the NPT product. I don't see anything specific to the A Series for expansion plugs. Any help is appreciated in providing size, quantity and location of these.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Ed
Any nut & bolt house will have what you are looking for (threaded plugs).
"HiStrength Bolt" in Kent has a great selection and I can pick-up anything you want when I stop by there (often).
BillM

Dug

Jedi Trainee
Ed,
Opps, well you will now have a set of galley plugs. From your last post you do need Expansion plugs, freeze plugs, soft plugs and or welch plugs to use just a few different names for the same thing.
If the shop tells you there are 5, three on the side and two at the back then expansion plugs "are" what you needed. Ron called it correctly. Steel (zinc plated) is 100% good.
Dorman is a common brand, size is 1-21/64" Dorman part number is 555-072. Napa (seal power) part number is 3812127. Even easier to come by.
Dug