• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake fluid canister - how full?

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Good morning all. Ever since I had my clutch slave replaced the fluid cannister has been leaking. I suspect my mechanic overfilled it after bleeding. Is there an ideal fill level?
Thanks
Randy
'66 BJ8

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
After replacing both my brake and clutch MC's, I found that my reservoir was also leaking onto my freshly painted engine bay. It took awhile to determine that the leak was from the bottom of the reservoir by the connection for the line to the brake MC. Apparently in removing the MC's I had moved the lines from the reservoir enough to loosen at least one of them. I ended up draining the reservoir and removing the inner chamber (clutch) in order to properly tighten the brake line from inside the reservoir. Then I reassembled the clutch chamber and tightened it. Leak stopped, but it was a little bi of a hassle.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Randy, I fill mine to the top of the inner cannister rim. Never had any trouble with spill over or slopping out. (Knock on Wood).

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
shorn said:
After replacing both my brake and clutch MC's, I found that my reservoir was also leaking onto my freshly painted engine bay. It took awhile to determine that the leak was from the bottom of the reservoir by the connection for the line to the brake MC. Apparently in removing the MC's....snip

Nope, it's definitely leaking from either the vent hole or it's coming up and over the threads of the cap. I'm betting the vent hole as there's freshly bubbled paint in the outer lip of the cap. I'm going to remove some of the fluid and see if that does the trick. Thanks guys.
Randy

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OK Randy,
If it is leaking out of the top, you might purchase a new rubber gasket for the lid. Most auto stores carry one that will work, part # 42072. This rubber gasket has a microscopic slit in the top, which some of us have sealed (I did not). The slit is almost invisible (at least to 60 year old eyes), but look under a bright light. With a new rubber gasket, the reservoir should not leak either through the vent hole or around the threads.
I fill mine so that it is slightly above the inner clutch cylinder.

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I concur with Shorn, if you're sure it's not leaking from the connections at the bottom, it's the gasket. (The fluid's getting pushed around by pedal action.)