• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake calipers

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Happy New Year to you all.
For my present I had a new set of discs ( rotors) and some almost new calipers, the paint had hardly dried on 'em when the lady wanted to upgrade to girling 16s. So to save the bother of re rubbering my old girling 14s it seemed a snip at £60 the pair. I have spent the day replacing the new for old and have just observed a great puddle of brake fluid under the right hand front wheel. It appears that the seal has been breached on the outer chamber. It may be bad luck or - there was a 14 thou difference when checking the gap either side of the disc, does any one know if this would cause the problem.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Bob, I doubt if a difference of travel between the two pistons of 14 Thou would cause your problem. However, to be sure the 14 thou should be shimmed so that the spacing is the same on both sides of the rotor. The resultant spacing on either side of the rotor should not exceed 0.015". If this does not cure the leak you may have to take that side to bits and have a look at the rubber seal-FWIW---Keoke

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
After an innitial bleeding of the system to enable me to turn the car around to get to the other side, I applied the brakes and felt the piston go, after that the brake fluid leaked constantly without applying any more pressure. It has to be a strip down now. The other side is worse, there is a 0.030" difference but I have not applied pressure to that one, I will shim out the difference before applying pressure. On the plus side of things, the new discs (rotors) are running true so I will not get the accompanying clacking noise, the old one were warped by as much as 10 times the maximum allowable. I have just phoned my local Healey man and complained bitterly ( he sold me the almost new parts),I am hoping to negotiate a free set of seals.

Regards

Bob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bob, deals like that can just about leave you gutted -Huh--Cheers Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Keoke, he is an honourable man, we think that the seal may have been nicked (damaged) during the rebuild (by professionals) and has taken the caliper back. He will replace the seal himself and I am collecting it tonight. That's service with a smile.
We discussed the eccentricty problem and we both agree that in principle, there is enough room on the piston travels to
take up any differences. In fact the garage has never shimmed any calipers and he has been rebuilding Healeys and racing them for years.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif Bob

AndrewMawson

Jedi Trainee
Bob,

Is that Rawles by any chance as they are down your way I think - I was considering running down to them for a price on a paint job so positive feedback is very useful

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yes Andrew, I have not had any work carried out by them yet and I know that he is not cheap, but he does a good job. His place is worth a visit. He came through with the caliper tonight, there was a great chunk out of the seal apparently. The lady who bought the car (not A Rawles refurb by the way)had a lucky escape and following that, so did I. It would appear that the car has not been driven since the refurb, or if so, hardly any distance before being sold on to the lady and she has not driven it yet. Talking to Bill about it, it is unusual for such damage to occur, but not impossible. The moral of this story is:- if you refurb your brakes or buy some in, give them a good testing in the car BEFORE you start rolling and then check it on a straight road with no traffic about.

Bob
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hey Bob, that is great news.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bit of a red face and near disaster. The refurbed calliper was installed and still leaked. New seals were ordered and fitted and the calliper was tested in the garage. No problems, great, intalled it all this Saturday, took it off again to push the pistons back to get the pads in. Installed it again, took it out for a drive, stopped after a very short drive, jacked the car up, took the wheel off and turned the inner pad around to the correct orientation. Woops!! All ok now, great brakes, no clacking, no thunk when you put your foot on the brake.

Bob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Bob ,glad it turned out OK,but there must have been some rotten buggers in there someplace. Regards Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif