• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Bought a Spit today, a bit bummed out

G

'76, lots if rust. Bought as a parts car. Runs fairly good, different engine supposedly rebuilt. Suopposed to be a 1500 but in fact is a 8.1 1300. I didn't know it was a 1300 and bought it mainly as a spare for my 1500 Midget. Has O/D trans, brakes don't work. bonnet in fair condition. Came w/ new oil cooler, adapter and hoses. $400, the guy was asking $1800. He came down once I showed him the frame was rusted badly.

Well, push comes to shove at least I have a spare engine I can use.

TonyPanchot

Jedi Trainee
Ah the life of a TR Owner

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Put that 1300 (probably with a NOT out-of-round crank) and the o-drive in your Midget and scrap out the body
With that OD trans you got your $400 worth!!
BillM

OP
G

Billm said:
Put that 1300 (probably with a NOT out-of-round crank) and the o-drive in your Midget and scrap out the body
With that OD trans you got your $400 worth!!
BillM

Yeah I know but as you remember, I'm not cutting my car. Thus the need for the 1500/210 swap. I've been seeing the transmissions going for $600-$800 so I feel o.k. I'm not in any hurry to get rid of the trans. Might change my mind about cutting the car. I like options. Gonna keep the engine as a back up so I can make the 1500 crank not out of round and still have a running car.

I wonder how long I can keep it going b/w these two engines?

I knew that motor felt revvier. I figured it was because it had higher compression....which it doesn't. The good news is there was a rebuilt TKC2748 ('76 1500 9.1 head) in the trunk w/ some surface rust.

I'll use that for my 1500 flat top build....maybe.

OP
G

Ya know, I've always liked the Spitfire and I did enjoy driving it in the yard.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I'll bet that the 1300 is just a "short-stroke" 1500 so it should rev much better but would have a little less torque. Could make a fun toy that revs easily enough to not even need an OD.
BillM

OP
G

I like low mello RPM's. Too buzzy @ 75 mph.

3.55's should be back by the end of the month from Mike. ( So I'll kinda need the extra stroke)

If it was going to be a 1300 at least I would want it to be the good one, not the fat heavy crank.

OP
G

Ya know, that Spit fram has outriggers under the bulkhead and wishbones it's way back along the trans.

I wonder if I cut the tunnel section of the frame out and graft it into the exsisting Midget subframe how that will work.

Think about it, how would have BL done it to begine w/? You can't have that crossmember there.

OP
G

OD works, will need 1-2 syncros. Poor car doesn't want to die but frame rust is severe. Too bad, I was tempted to fix the brakes and drive it till it breaks in half..which now seams could be the end of the driveway.

Kinda mad about the syncros, ol' boy swore the transd was fine.

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Billm said:
I'll bet that the 1300 is just a "short-stroke" 1500 so it should rev much better but would have a little less torque.... BillM

Back in my F Production Spitfire racing days, where rules were based on mainly stock layout (no carb changes etc, albeit with some mods allowed), most Spit racers ran the 1300 for exactly the reson Bill notes above. The 1500 ran a single Stromberg vs 2 SU's for the 1300 and had lower compression if I recall correctly. The 1300 actually made more power.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
kellysguy said:
will need 1-2 syncros.

Just a thought, you might try putting Redline MT-90 in the gearbox/OD. It made a remarkable improvement in my TR; and others have reported that it helps compensate for worn synchro rings.

OP
G

Yes but wasn't that the small bearing motor? I have thought of getting a 1300 just for the halibut. What I was thinking is, eveyone says the A series Midget is the shizzle cause the 1500 revs slow and has floppy crank.

Well, if the 1300 has a better crank material ( than the 1500)...and even a better head; to me that would indicate it's comparible with the 1275. Not the same, but close enough. Yeah, I know; they don't mkae all the goodies for the Spit motor like ther A series.

To me it would make more sense to put a 1300 in a 1500 car rather than a 1275 except for maybe the 5 speed swap.

If gas goes to $4.50-$5 a gallon the 1300 might see some road time. The little engine does run good...just looks like crap.