• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Body differences between pre- and post- 60000 TR3A

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Listers:

I have a '59 TR-3A with comm number in the 44000's. It was raced in an earlier life and wrecked, with a post-60000 body put on. Of course, I didn't know any of this when I bought it. (First LBC I'd ever driven -- You understand!)

Question: I can re-fabricate the rear seat arrangement to match pre-60000s, but there are other subtle differences too: for example, the trunk hinge has a raised plinth which would need to be flattened--what else?

I've got the Piggot books, and the plinth is all I came up with. Might be more trouble than it's worth, since I'm shifting to rack and pinion steering, aluminum radiator, and electric fan.

Thanks, Jim

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Jim, there are a number of differences, such as those hinge bases (also for the hood/bonnet), rear floor, the doors themselves. But why bother? The car's already well beyond eligible for a stock class Concours judged competition, and your modifications would just put it yet further away. Seems pointless to me to try to "fake" anything at this point.

Look at it this way: you can enjoy whatever modifications you desire with NO guilt whatsoever! :smile:

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Jim-

I'm not sure I'd go to the trouble, especially if your post-60k body is in decent shape. Other subtleties are that the spare tire well has more room in the later style, which is something I'd keep anyway. Also, the flange area around the trunk is different and uses a different style trunk seal. Trunk lid is different, the early version would have integral, flat bracing versus the later tube frame.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Randy

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
:iagree: Just drive it!

Lots more little differences, like many of the electrical components switched from screw terminals to quick-connect spades (and the harness changed to match). The door panels changed to match the difference in the doors; the hinges changed too.

TS44000 would have the dipstick in the gearbox instead of the plug in the side, and the early starter instead of the later starter. Might have the earlier style carb float bowls, and maybe that was before the adjustment screws on the pedal box were deleted?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
The layout of some stuff on the firewall... control box, turn signal flasher, perhaps fuse block, would differ on a pre-60K car. Those items could be fairly easily moved to match the earlier configuration.

G

Jim, the guys hit the nail on the head: to HECK with the differences between 60,000 and 60,001. You do NOT want to know the differences!!

Years ago, I typed up EVERY MODIFICATION in the evolution of the TR2 thru the TR3A (and the TR3B, where it was possible), BY PART NUMBER AND NAME, using the Spare Parts Catalog, Graham Robson, Bill Piggott, et al. If you want, I can email this to you via separate email. It is NOT a pretty sight; over 110 parts: nearly all body panels, tubes, supports; interior panels; Lucar harness and components (generator, starter solenoid, flasher unit, stop lamp switch, headlamp dipping switch, control box); and OD harness, relay, and isolator switch.

I have a 1962 TR3B, with the appropriate post-60,000 body panels and Lucar fittings. Until I bought this car, I was an "originality kind of guy." My rack and pinion, electronic ignition and cooling fan, and a few other modifications eliminated any concerns about originality. Lastly, I found that I have a 1958 firewall.

Based on our situations, which are quite similar, it would be counter-productive to start replacing parts that don't need replaced. I have a beautiful car that runs well, and my job will be to keep it that way.

Good luck,

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
It would be cheaper and easier to sell what you have and buy a TR which is as "original" as it can be from the git-go - right now, whether it's an early TR3A or a late post TS 60000 TR3A. Trying to re-build a mixed TR3A into either an early or a late one will take you 3 years, cost you a lot of dollars and you won't enjoy the one you have on the road today during those 3 years it'll be all apart.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Remember Jim
It is your car and all of the TR's are a little bit different. Build yours the way you want it. You will be pleased with the results. Being original is good, but it's not very original. If you want a perfect original car wait and keep looking for the barn find. I feel that it will be less expensive and less time consuming, TR's are for driving.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I was faced with a similar problem. The body on my TR3 was pre-60k, but it was in very bad shape. I came across another body that was in much better shape (it still needed a lot of work), but it was a post 60k body. Since the body had the commission number plate, I figured no big deal, I'll just register with the post 60k number. That could've worked, but New York DMV is touchy and I would've had to prove where the car came from etc. etc. plus, the engine number and other details would've been wrong also, so I just registered the car with the original pre-60k commission number. It's really a moot point, as I have so many other mods to this car, that if I entered it into a concours event, I'd owe them points! :laugh:

BTW, changing over the body incurred a few extra expenditures...to include...fuel tank with filler, windscreen stanchions, and some other stuff I can't recall at the moment. The original interior was actually redone before I bought the car and could have been used, but all of that had to be replaced also due to the difference in the interior panels. But that gave me the opportunity to go RED! :smile:

My take on all of this is that there were about 80,000 of these car built (TR2-TR3B) and there will be enough enthusiasts that will prepare and keep them as original as possible that it won't matter in the big scheme of things if some of us take the deviant course.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
martx-5 said:
if some of us take the deviant course.
Not afraid to tell it like it is, huh, Art?
:devilgrin:

OP
Jim_Stevens

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Wow. Thanks for the responses. I believe I'll do what I can, not sweat the stuff I can't, and just make it "better" for the next 50 years. Jim.

TS44743L

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Don Elliott said:
It would be cheaper and easier to sell what you have and buy a TR which is as "original" as it can be from the git-go - right now, whether it's an early TR3A or a late post TS 60000 TR3A. Trying to re-build a mixed TR3A into either an early or a late one will take you 3 years, cost you a lot of dollars and you won't enjoy the one you have on the road today during those 3 years it'll be all apart.

I must agree with Don. You would be doing it the hard way. believe me. I know from experience.